Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

Health insurance

MU International Center programs

In order to comply with the University of Missouri Collected Rules and Regulations regarding health and safety standards for university-sponsored study abroad programs, the University of Missouri provides all participants in MU programs administered by the International Center with the the following insurance coverage:

The International Center enrolls participants in center-administered programs in the HTH Worldwide and UnitedHealthcare Global Insurance, and the cost of insurance coverage is billed directly to students' MU accounts.

MU faculty-led and department programs

Students participating in faculty-led programs administered by the International Center and participants in study abroad programs administered by other divisions will be enrolled in the HTH Worldwide Sickness and Accident Insurance and UnitedHealthcare Global by their program coordinators. The cost of insurance coverage is included in the program fee for faculty-led and divisional programs.

MU affiliated programs that fulfill insurance requirements for study abroad

The comprehensive health insurance coverage policies provided by the following MU affiliated programs have been evaluated by the UM System Office of Risk Management and have been determined to fulfill the MU insurance requirements. Students participating in these programs are not required to enroll in additional comprehensive health insurance.

  • Alliance
  • Arcadia
  • CIEE
  • IFSA-Butler
  • IES
  • ISA
  • Missouri State University
  • SAI
  • University of Arizona
  • University of Wisconsin–Platteville

Note: The University of Missouri System provides the UnitedHealthcare Global insurance to students participating on these programs.

MU affiliated programs that do not fulfill insurance requirements for study abroad

The following MU affiliated programs either do not provide health insurance coverage or the health insurance coverage that they do provide has been deemed insufficient by the UM System Office of Risk Management.

  • CAPA
  • DIS
  • GVSU
  • University of Kansas
  • University of Tennessee-Knoxville

The MU International Center will enroll students participating in these MU affiliated programs in the HTH Worldwide and UnitedHealthcare Global insurance. These charges will be billed to participants' MU student accounts.

Non-MU programs

The MU International Center cannot independently verify sickness and accident insurance coverage provided by non-MU programs, as these programs are neither sponsored by nor affiliated with the University of Missouri. Students participating in non-MU programs will be asked to verify their enrollment in a comprehensive health insurance policy that will provide them with comprehensive coverage while they are abroad. The coverage amounts for any international health insurance policy must meet or exceed the coverage provided by HTH Worldwide. Any student who has questions about the insurance coverage provided by a non-MU program should contact the program provider directly. Students who find that the insurance provided by their non-MU programs is not equivalent to the HTH Worldwide insurance should purchase coverage through HTH Worldwide.

The fee for HTH Worldwide and UnitedHealthcare Global is $34.60 per month. MU participants in non-MU programs can enroll online for both policies at HTH Worldwide (credit card only). Enter the access code CBK-2348 in the box on the left-hand side for the University of Missouri study abroad plan. Participants must enter the start and end dates for their study abroad program. Study abroad participants are required to maintain enrollment throughout the entire duration of the study abroad program. Note: If you do not have a credit card, come to the International Center (N52 Memorial Union) to obtain a hard copy of the enrollment form.

HTH Worldwide benefits

In addition to providing comprehensive sickness and accident insurance, the HTH Worldwide policy provides emergency travel medical insurance, including coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation of remains, which generally is not provided by domestic insurance policies. HTH also has identified a network of doctors worldwide who will provide treatment and file claims on your behalf without requiring payment at the time of treatment. Prior to departure for study abroad, HTH assists students in establishing treatment for ongoing medical conditions while abroad (including doctor visits and continuing medications). For a brief summary of the features and benefits of this plan, please see the policy brochure.

After enrollment

After you have been enrolled in HTH Worldwide insurance and have received your medical insurance ID card from HTH Worldwide, you should go to the HTH student website. Using the certificate number of the front of the card, sign in to the site to obtain comprehensive information relating to this plan, including a doctor locator, city health profiles and translations of medical terms and phrases. Your family can access this same information by logging in to the HTH parent website. Your family will need your insurance ID card number or your email address in order to sign in.

UnitedHealthcare Global benefits

The study abroad offices on all four UM campuses and the UM Office of Risk and Insurance Management have identified and partnered with UnitedHealthcare Global to enhance the insurance provided to study abroad participants. UnitedHealthcare Global is a leading provider of international travel assistance services, including 24-hour security-related assistance services for MU students traveling 100 miles or more away from home or outside their home country. The UnitedHealthcare Global coverage for study abroad students includes political evacuation services, security evacuation services, transportation after security or political evacuation, and real-time security intelligence.

Print your student UnitedHealthcare Global ID card, and always carry it with you when traveling.