Skip to main content
Skip to navigation


H-1B status is specific to the employer and terms of employment — you should maintain employment exactly as indicated on your H-1B petition. It is extremely important that you notify the International Center before any change is made to your employment, including job title, salary, hours, work location or job duties. Failure to have your employer process a new or amended petition for H-1B status could result in an interruption of employment.

You are not permitted to accept payment from any outside sources, including honoraria for travel expenses.

Social Security card

You must wait two full weeks from your date of entry into the United States before applying for a Social Security card. See the information about Social Security cards for application details and required documents.