Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

Responsibilities at MU

H-1B employees at the University of Missouri are responsible for learning, understanding and complying with U.S. federal laws and regulations governing H-1B status. Please review the following responsibilities and contact your H-1B adviser if you have any questions.

Obtain travel documents when traveling abroad

Before you travel abroad, contact your international scholar adviser to receive copies of documents that will be necessary for re-entering the United States. Since MU is the owner of the petition, the scholar adviser will retain the original I-797 approval notice at the International Center when it is not needed for international travel.

Report address changes to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

U.S. federal regulations require all H-1B employees to report a change of address to USCIS within 10 days of the change on the USCIS website.

Report employment changes to the International Center

The terms of employment in H-1B status are very specific. The Department of Homeland Security approves your H-1B status for the specific department, salary, duties and dates listed on the initial H-1B petition. As an H-1B employee, you are not authorized to change employment without authorization. This restriction includes planned or incidental changes in position duties, pay rates or sponsoring departments within MU. If you anticipate a change in conditions of employment, notify your scholar adviser immediately.

Participate only in unpaid consulting

You are permitted to make occasional speeches and lectures at other institutions or at conferences, as long as the activities are not paid (either monetarily or by any other material gain), and are incidental to your employment at MU. You can be reimbursed for expenses incurred in connection with travel to other institutions for conferences. This is not considered employment as long as the payments are truly reimbursements for expenses and not disguised compensation.

Apply for extension prior to expiration of current H-1B status

Your host department will be responsible to file an application for extension on your behalf. Applications for extension should be submitted to the International Center five to six months before the end date of the original program. If the center does not receive the application at least two months before the end date of the original program, there are likely to be gaps in employment eligibility.

Report departure date and reason to the International Center

You and your host department are responsible for notifying the International Center of your planned or unplanned departure. This is especially important if the employee leaves MU prior to the end date of the H-1B approval. If the employee's record is not properly closed with USCIS, it could lead to complications for you. If the department is unable to employ you for the duration of your H-1B status, the department is responsible for offering to cover the responsible cost of return transportation to your home country.