Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

Faculty, staff and scholars


The International Center supports international faculty, researchers and staff employed at MU and provides assistance to the academic units hosting them. International scholars include employees with J-1 and H-1B visas, as well as those with business and tourist visas.

J-1 scholars are participants in the United States Exchange Visitor Program. Through the program, foreign nationals visit the United States temporarily to teach, lecture, study, observe, conduct research, consult, train or demonstrate special skills. Participants are expected to return to their home countries when their programs have concluded.

H-1B scholars are international workers who perform services in specialty occupations requiring a specialized body of knowledge.