Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

Information for departments

The International Center provides support for MU academic units hiring or hosting international faculty, staff and scholars. This support includes processing immigration documents as part of the hiring processes and maintaining scholars' immigration records during their time at MU, as well as orientation and advising for scholars.

About J-1 and H1-B visa categories

  J-1 scholar H-1B scholar
Length of stay Up to five years. No extensions. Six years, increments of up to three years. Since H-1B is a dual intent status, extensions beyond the six years are possible based on an approved I-140 or an I-485 that has been pending for more than 365 days for scholars from countries without visa numbers available.
Processing time Quick processing by the International Center. International Center processing takes an average of one to three months (dependent on Department of Labor timing). U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services adjudication process generally takes an average of four to six months. Premium processing ($1,410) expedites the process to two to three weeks.
Restrictions Possibly subject to 212(e) restrictions. Waiver required to change to H-1B status or permanent residence. Visitor can return as a research scholar no sooner than 24 months after the first program has ended. Must comply with Department of Labor Labor Condition Application regulations. Wage requirement (Prevailing Wage Determination) and all financial support must come from MU. Aliens subject to 212(e) two-year home residence requirement are not eligible.
Fees $200 administrative fee (paid by department). $460 I-129 fee; $500 anti-fraud fee; $1,000 administrative fee; $1,410 fee for expedited processing, if requested. Department must pay all fees except expedited processing, which can be paid by either the scholar or department.
Dependents A J-2 dependent is allowed to take classes, pursue a degree and work, with a USCIS recommendation. Obtaining work authorization may take up to three months. An H-4 dependent may take classes or pursue a degree. Most H-4 dependents are not allowed to work. $370 I-539 fee for H-4 dependent application, paid by the scholar.