Skip to main content
Skip to navigation


Ibtisam Barakat.

Authorized activities

As a J-1 professor, researcher or short-term scholar, you are only eligible to engage in the educational activities outlined in your DS-2019. Employment is both job-specific and site-specific, as stated on the DS-2019. A change in location (department) is not permitted without prior approval from the International Center.

Social Security card

You must wait two full weeks from your date of entry into the United States before applying for a Social Security card. See the information about Social Security cards for application details and required documents.

Occasional off-campus consultations and lectures

The Department of State allows for occasional lectures and consultations that are incidental to your main objective. Compensation is allowed only if the required procedures and criteria are satisfied. You may not receive funds from a U.S. source other than what is stated on your DS-2019 without first obtaining approval from the International Center prior to the work being performed.


The occasional lectures or short-term consultations must:

  • Be directly related to the objectives of your program.
  • Be incidental to the major objective.
  • Not delay the completion of the program.

Required documents

The following documents should be presented to an international scholar for authorization of off-campus compensation before the work is performed.

  • Letter from the inviter setting forth the terms and conditions of the offer to lecture or consult, including the duration of participation, the number of hours anticipated, the field or subject, the amount of compensation and a description of the activity.
  • Letter from MU head of department or major supervisor recommending the activity with an explanation as to how such activity will enhance the individual's program.

If the off-campus consultation or lecture is approved, the international scholar adviser will provide an authorization letter.