Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

Spouses and children

Father and son by the Columns.

J-2 dependents

A J-2 dependent is defined as a spouse or unmarried, minor child of J-1 scholar. These dependents:

  • May enter the United States along with or after the J-1 scholar, but never before.
  • May be employed with approval from USCIS and an EAD card.
  • Must have his or her own DS-2019 to enter the United States and to travel and re-enter.
  • May be admitted to school and attend classes as a full-time or part-time student.
  • May not remain in the U.S. in J-2 status after the J-1 scholar has departed unless the absence is temporary.

Inviting a J-2 dependent

J-1 scholars may invite spouses or unmarried, minor children to join them in the United States after arriving at MU by following these steps:

  1. Complete and submit a document request form to the International Center.
  2. Provide evidence of yearly financial support for the dependent(s) as follows:
    • $8,400 per year or $700 per month for spouse
    • $4,800 per year or $400 per month for each child
  3. Obtain a DS-2019 from the International Center that allows the dependent to apply for a J-2 visa.

Dependents apply for J-2 visas at a U.S. embassy or consulate with their own DS-2019. When applying for a J-2 visa, an original or certified copy of a marriage license, for a spouse, or birth certificate, for a child, must be submitted in addition to evidence of financial support. For information regarding additional documentation, consult the U.S. embassy or consulate.