Skip to main content
Skip to navigation


When traveling outside the United States, you must have in your possession the proper documents to return to the U.S. and resume your activities. These documents are:

  • Valid passport (that will remain valid for at least six months beyond the date of travel)
  • Valid J-1 visa stamp in the passport
  • DS-2019 authorized for travel by an international scholar adviser

Any time you plan to travel, please bring your DS-2019 to walk-in advising at least two weeks prior to your departure date. Be sure to also bring your passport and a copy of your I-94 record with you. Emergency situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

If you need to apply for a new J-1 visa stamp abroad, please submit updated financial information so that a new DS-2019 may be issued to you to present to the U.S. embassy or consulate

Visa appointments in Canada and Mexico

Due to the increased security checks applied to third-country national visa applications at U.S. consulates in Mexico and Canada, as well as recent changes in the regulations regarding entry from these countries, the International Center advises against traveling to these border countries to apply for visas. If you do plan to travel to a third-county, including Canada or Mexico, you should check with the appropriate embassy or consulate about whether you will need a visa to vists these countries.