Skip to main content
Skip to navigation


Getting married in the United States requires a marriage license issued by the county recorder from the county in which you will be married. Marriage requirements vary by state; you can find Missouri's requirements on the state website. The Boone County Recorder's website outlines the specific process if you will be getting married in Columbia.

Changing your name due to marriage

Changing your name on all of your legal and important documents will take time. The first step is to update your passport. Consult your home country's embassy or consulate for information regarding changing the name in your passport.

To update your I-20/DS-2019, bring your updated passport to the International Center. A international student adviser will then issue you a new I-20/DS-2019 with your new name. To update your Social Security card, take an original or certified copy of your marriage license, along with the other documents required for a Social Security card, to the Social Security office.

After these key documents have been changed, the following will also need to be updated:

  • myZou or employee information system
  • Visa (next time you renew it)
  • I-94 record (next time you re-enter the U.S.)
  • Bank accounts and any debit or credit cards
  • Driver's license

Note that marriage may affect your income taxes. Contact MU's non-resident alien taxation specialist to find out how marriage will change your tax situation.