Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

Driver's license

MO drivers license sample

Sample Missouri driver's license.

A driver's license is required for anyone who plans to operate a motor-driven vehicle on public roadways. If you have an international driver's license (written in English), you may be able to use it to drive in the United States. However, if you plan to drive regularly or purchase a car, you should obtain a Missouri driver's license.

Step 1: Instruction permit

Before you obtain a driver's license or learn to drive in the United States, you must have an instruction permit, also known as a learner's permit. To obtain this permit, you must pass a vision test and a written test about Missouri traffic rules. With a permit, you may drive only when an adult licensed driver is in the vehicle with you. For additional information about obtaining an instruction permit, including the information you will need to learn to pass the written test, please see the Missouri Driver Guide. You will take all tests at the Missouri State Highway Patrol testing office.

Step 2: Driver's license

After you have satisfied the requirements to graduate from an instruction permit, you can apply for a driver's license. You must pass vision, road sign and written tests, in addition to a driving test. For the driving test, you must provide a registered and insured vehicle in which to take the test. You will take the tests at the Missouri State Highway Patrol testing office. You must successfully pass all tests to obtain a driver's license.

If you are in nonimmigrant status, you will receive your license by mail in four to six weeks. If you have a driver's license from another state in the U.S., you should get a Missouri license as soon as possible after moving here.

Required documentation

For Missouri instruction permit or driver's license:

  1. Proof of lawful presence
    F-1 and J-1 students and J-1 scholars must provide all of the following: F-2 and J-2 dependents must provide all of the following:
    • Passport
    • I-94
    • Visa
    • I-20 of F-1 or DS-2019 of J-1
    • Certification of enrollment (print certification of F-1/J-1 from the Registrar's website)
    H-1B scholars must provide all of the following: H-4 dependents must provide all of the following:
  2. Proof of residency — one of the following:
    • Utility bill (most recent)
    • Bank statement (most recent)
    • Paycheck (most recent)
    • Housing rental contract of current residence
    • An official letter/document from another state or local government agency, on the agency’s letterhead or that contains the official seal of the issuing agency, within the past 30 days
    • Letter or other documentation issued by postmaster within past 30 days
    • Other government document that contains the name and address of the applicant, within the past 30 days
  3. Proof of identity — only required for H-1B/H-4 visas
    Provide your Social Security number if you have received one. If you have not received a Social Security card, go to the Social Security office to obtain a letter.

Testing and license offices

Missouri State Highway Patrol testing office

403 Vandiver Drive, Suite D (map)
phone: 573-884-1399
hours: 8 a.m.–5 p.m. Monday–Friday

Columbia License Office

403 Vandiver Drive, Suite B (map)
phone: 573-474-4700
hours: 8 a.m.–5 p.m. Monday–Friday; 8 a.m.–noon last Saturday of the month