Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

Extending a program

Your I-20/DS-2019 is only valid until you either finish your degree program or your I-20/DS-2019 expires.

If your I-20/DS-2019 is nearing the expiration date and you need more time to finish your degree program, you may request additional time by submitting an online request for a new I-20/DS-2019 to extend your program. You must submit the following documents to the International Center before your current DS-2019 or I-20 expires:

  1. Recommendation for Extension of Program of Study, to be complete by academic adviser or department head.
  2. Financial documentation to verify that you can afford to live in the U.S. for the additional time you are requesting on your extension form.

Program extension for sponsored international students

If you have an I-20 or DS-2019 issued by the University of Missouri, please refer to the instructions above.

If your DS-2019 or I-20 was issued by a source other than MU, you must contact the sponsor for more information about the extension. Your sponsor may ask that  your academic adviser or an international student adviser sign the necessary forms and verify your financial information. Please consult with the director of sponsored student programs for support when completing these forms.

More about sponsored students.