Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

Maintaining immigration status

International Center advisers can help you maintain your status, but it is your responsibility to comply with all immigration regulations that apply to non-immigrant students. If you are not sure whether an action is legal, please ask an adviser before taking that action. It is in your best interests to follow the regulations.

If you violate your immigration status, you will not be able to work on or off campus, engage in practical/academic training or transfer to a different school until you have been reinstated to F-1 or J-1 status. You may be required to leave the U.S. Refer to the reinstatement guidelines for more information.

The four basic ways to maintain your status are:

For more information on maintaining your status, review the immigration basics for your visa type: