Skip to main content
Skip to navigation


Chancellor Brady Deaton and Anne Deaton during International Day.Getting married in Columbia, Mo.

  • Marriage in the United States requires a marriage license given by the county recorder from the county in which you will be married.
  • Marriage requirements vary by state. Check Missouri's requirements.
  • Visit the Boone County Recorder’s website for regulations and procedures for obtaining a Missouri marriage license.

Marrying a person who is in non-immigrant visa status

  • Whether the marriage occurs in the U.S. or in the home country will not influence immigration matters.
  • Initially, the marriage will have no impact upon your non-immigrant status.
  • There will be a change on your immigration documents only if you initiate a change by:
    • Changing your name.
    • Changing your non-immigrant status (i.e. become a dependent).
    • Changing your address.

Marrying a person who is in permanent resident status

Review the U.S. Department of State guidelines.

Marrying a U.S. citizen

Review the U.S. Department of State guidelines.

Changing a name due to marriage

  • Changing your name on all of your legal and important documents will take time.
  • The change must begin with the passport. Consult your embassy or consulate for information on changing the name in your passport.
  • Bring the updated passport to the International Center. ISSS will then update your I-20/DS-2019 with the name change.
  • To change your name on your Social Security card, take your marriage license, in addition to the other documents required for a Social Security Card, to the Social Security office.
  • After these three key documents have been changed, the following will need to be changed:
    1. Bank account and ATM card.
    2. Driver’s license.
    3. I-94 card (the next time you re-enter the U.S.).
    4. MyZou.
    5. Visa (the next time you renew your visa).

Note: Marriage may affect your income taxes. Please contact MU’s non-resident alien taxation specialist to find out how marriage will change your tax situation.