Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

Non-MU (visiting) students

Many of our programs are open to non-MU students. Whether a program is open to non-MU students is indicated in the program snapshot section of each program's page.

See a list of current programs open to non-MU students.

Academics and credit

Unless indicated otherwise, all students will be enrolled in actual MU courses. While all participating students are guaranteed to receive MU credit for successfully completed courses, they must work with their home university academic adviser(s) to obtain pre-approval as to how courses might fulfill degree requirements.

Non-MU students will receive transcripts issued from MU that can be mailed to the students' home universities. Students must work with their home universities to determine how credit from the program will transfer. The MU International Center will issue one transcript per student to one domestic address, as indicated on the student's application for study abroad.

Additional MU transcripts for study abroad must be requested and purchased from the MU Registrar.


To enroll in an MU study abroad program a student must meet the following requirements in addition to any requirements specified by the individual study abroad program.

  1. Be classified and enroll as a visitor through either Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions.
  2. Be in good standing and be eligible to return to the current college or university.
  3. Maintain a 2.5 grade point average.
  4. Have completed 24 semester hours of college work.
  5. Possess the necessary prerequisites for enrollment to any course.
  6. Students applying for graduate-level credit must also have a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from a U.S. university or a university in which instruction is in the English language. International, non-degree students seeking graduate credit should consult the MU Graduate School for more information.


  1. Contact the study abroad program adviser. Prior to beginning the application process, we encourage non-MU participants first to contact the adviser for the program in which they are interested (as listed on the program page) to confirm eligibility and other program requirements.
  2. Apply to be a non-degree visiting student at MU. Before applying to study abroad, a non-MU participant must first enroll as a visiting student at MU.
    • Undergraduate - If enrolled as an undergraduate in another college or university, apply through the MU Office of Admissions as a "visiting student."
    • Graduate - To obtain graduate credit, apply through the MU Graduate School as a "non-degree seeking student."
    • If not enrolled in another college or university and seeking undergraduate credit, apply through the University Registrar via the Visiting Student Program. There is no application fee.
      • Graduate credit is not available through Easy Access.
      • The International Center will facilitate course enrollment, including enrollment in more than the maximum credits normally permitted through Easy Access.
    Upon acceptance, students will receive two emails with their myZou account information, including:
    • MU PawPrint (a 6-character username consisting of letters and numbers)
    • MU Student ID # (8-digit number)
    • Temporary password
  3. Apply to the study abroad program. After activating their PawPrint and setting a password, visiting students can log in to the International Center website and create a study abroad application:
    • Use the program search to find the program to which you are applying.
    • Select the "Apply Now" button on the application tabe of the program page.

Financial aid and scholarships

For a detailed program budget please see the cost section on each program page.

Non-MU students are not eligible for financial aid or scholarships from MU. Non-MU students should work with their home university's study abroad and financial aid offices to research financial aid and scholarship options. Participants not currenly enrolled in another college or university may not be eligible for any financial aid or scholarships.


Study abroad program costs (paid to MU) will be billed to non-MU undergraduate and graduate students through their myZou accounts. Non-MU students are responsible for arranging timely payment and financial aid to their myZou account. Please do not send payment directly to the International Center. Students can also authorize other users (such as a parent) to view and make payments through myZou. For instructions on how to authorize other account users, visit the Office of Cashiers.

In order for students to view and pay their bill online through myZou, they will need to agree to the "e-consent" terms. To do this, students should log into myZou and read and accept the terms for e-consent. Once a student has agreed to e-consent, they will be able to view and pay their bills online.

Graduate students enrolling in study abroad courses for undergraduate-level credit may be charged undergraduate or graduate tuition and fees on a case by case basis. Graduate students enrolling in study abroad courses for graduate-level credit will be charged graduate-level tuition and fees.

Non-resident tuition charges apply to both MU and non-MU undergraduate and graduate students who do not have Missouri residency.

Contact information

For questions or more information about applying to MU as a visiting student, please contact: