Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

Emergency information

What is an emergency?

An emergency is a situation affecting the health, safety or security of a participant on a University of Missouri study abroad program.

What should I do in case of an emergency?

After attending to the immediate needs of the person(s) affected, call the appropriate MU emergency assistance number.

Emergency assistance contact information

  • For any emergency:
    • During International Center office hours, call the International Center front desk: +1 573-882-6007.
    • Outside of office hours, call the University of Missouri Police Department and they will contact an International Center staff member at home: +1 573-882-7201.
  • For medical emergencies, go to the closest medical facility, then contact GeoBlue at +1 610-254-8771 (collect calls accepted).
  • To report Title IX-related emergencies, go to the Office for Civil Rights and Title IX website, call +1 573-882-7915 or email

U.S. embassies and consulates

Should you encounter serious legal, political, health or economic problems, the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate can offer limited assistance. It can provide you with a lsit of attorneys or physicians, contact next of kin in the event of an emergency or serious illness, contact friends or family on your behalf to request funds or guidance, provide assistance during civil unrest or natural disaster, and replace a lost or stolen passport. An embassy or consulate is the primary source for information on where to obtain advie; however, it cannot give advice directly.


If you are a U.S. citizen, you should register your travel with the U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. This travel registration makes it possible for you to be contacted in case of an emergency in the U.S. or in your host country. The International Center and some MU divisions will register you automatically for the duration of your study abroad program. If you are unsure if you will be registered in STEP, please check with your program coordinator. Additionally, if you will be traveling independently before, during or after your program, you should register that travel online as well.

Through this free service, your family can pass an emergency message to you through the Office of Overseas Citizens Services by calling 888-407-4747 (from the U.S.) or +1 202-501-4444 (from abroad). In accordance with the Privacy Act, the Department of States cannot release your information without your express consent.