Three countries, 14 days, 19 new friends and infinite memories

By Elizabeth N.

Feb. 15, 2017

Three countries, 14 days, 19 new friends and infinite memories describes my study abroad experience in a nutshell. During winter break 2016/17, I was fortunate enough to participate in the Trulaske College of Business South America program, where I could immerse myself in Chilean and Argentine cultures. My travel experience prior to this journey was limited to the United States, so it was very exciting to take in new cultures and finally get a stamp in my passport! As a student, I joined my 19 classmates on numerous adventures, including trying new cuisine and ringing in the new year.

Celebrating the new year on the beach in Valparaiso, Chile.

The adventure began in Santiago, Chile, where our first assignment was to navigate the city in small groups, stopping by famous sites such as the San Cristobal Hill, the art museum and president’s palace, and sampling Chilean cuisin from street vendors. Together we tackled the use of the metro and explored historic neighborhoods. Additionally, the program coordinators planned a trip to Lodge Andino, a resort in the Andes Mountains, where we enjoyed typical Chilean barbecue and horseback riding up the mountains. The views from the hills of the Andes were indescribable and something that needs to be experienced if given the opportunity. We ended our time in Chile by celebrating the new year with a fireworks display on the beach in Valparaiso.

Taken after horseback riding up the Andes Mountains.

The next stop was Buenos Aires, Argentina, where, like in Chile, we explored all the city had to offer over the course of a week. An interesting fact about Buenos Aires: Being a port city, it is only a two-hour ferry ride to Colonia de Sacramento, Uruguay. So, for the tree weekend, a group of us traveled there and spent some time on the beach enjoying the summer weather, while simultaneously adding another stamp in our passports. Back in Buenos Aires, some of the highlights included visiting La Boca Junior soccer stadium and neighborhood, partaking in a tango lesson and experiencing a typical Sunday at the street markets, where we bargained with local for souvenirs. While abroad, time seemed to fly by because our days were jam packed as we attempted to see and embrace everything each country had to offer. This opportunity was my most memorable college experience and I am forever grateful I got to spend it with a wonderful group of people, who started out as strangers and I now call my friends.

Spending the day on the beach in Colonia de Sacramento, Uruguay.
About the blogger

Elizabeth N. is studying abroad on the Business: South American program in Chile and Argentina.