It was the best of times…

By Emily S.

Jan. 31, 2020

So, you want to study abroad, but you don’t know where to start? Here’s everything you need to know to plan your perfect study abroad trip.

It’s already been three and a half weeks since I moved to the U.K., and the transition was anything but smooth. However, it could have been a lot worse without the proper planning and preparation done the 12 months prior to my program start. Before I even came to Mizzou I knew that I wanted to study abroad. I knew it might be complicated and stressful, and I had no idea how much it would cost, but the one thing I was sure about was that this was something I had to do. I had never been out of the country before I came to the U.K., and had only traveled solo once a year prior to my program. To say I was confused and inexperienced was an understatement. With that in mind, I knew there was only one thing I could do to make this dream a reality: a lot of meticulous and careful planning.

My first piece of advice to anyone considering a semester, year, or even a summer abroad is to start early. I began researching programs through Mizzou’s extremely helpful and organized International Center website a year before I was planning to go. It might seem unnecessary or too early, but the months leading up to your program start are the most crucial; and it’s better to be as prepared as possible for any deadlines, financial decisions/applying for aid, or living arrangements you may need to make before you leave. Starting early also gives you plenty of time to explore your options. One of the best things about Mizzou’s study abroad office is that there is a program anywhere you could reasonably want to go, for everyone. Starting to look into programs early gives you time to do some research on each school, courses offered, and the differences in academic systems and cultures before you decide. This is an important time to remember that a place you might want to visit, might not be suitable for an entire study abroad program.

Some other considerations you might want to make are the location and how expensive it would be for you to travel while you’re abroad. One of the best things about studying abroad is the opportunity to visit other countries, often much cheaper, than coming from the States. In order to do so, you’ll want to have a central home base for all of your travels. Studying in Australia might not be a good idea if you really want to explore Europe.

Once you decide on a country, spend a lot of time researching the geography. I spent months looking into England’s geography and regional cultural differences. This proved to be super beneficial in the long run because I was more adequately prepared to communicate and adjust once I got here. It’s a common misconception that England is just like America when really it’s much different. And while the entire country of England is roughly the size of Alabama, just like traveling around the U.S., each region has its own idiosyncrasies and unique dialect. By familiarizing yourself with the surrounding areas, you’ll find that traveling becomes much easier. You’ll have a better gauge of a budget and you’ll be able to better get to where you want to go!

The next thing to think about is how long you want to spend abroad. The good news is Mizzou has a range of program lengths, so you’re guaranteed to find a program that fits your needs. However, the longer your program, you’ll want to make considerations for certain items or personal care products and their eventual depletion. For example, as a makeup wearer I have become accustomed to certain brands and products I like. However, here in the U.K. there is no Ulta or Sephora, and for certain products they do not ship to the U.K. So being prepared to find similar products or replacements here is something you’ll want to take into consideration when choosing the length of time you’ll be gone. Now of course this should not be an all or nothing deciding factor of whether or not you study abroad, but it might be important for other products/medications that you use and maybe aren’t able to use replacements of (so budget space to bring the amount you need).

Lastly, be prepared for things to go wrong. Even if you plan out everything and have an idea of what you’ll do for phone service or banking, expect your plans to change or fall through. It’s better to have a plan than no plan, but be prepared to be flexible and ready to make adjustments as they come. But most of all, don’t forget to leave your room, eat breakfast, and talk to people.

About the blogger

Emily S. is studying abroad on the Lancaster University program in Lancaster, United Kingdom.