The English and Professional Immersion program immerses students in American culture through a variety of experiences, including short-term internships, professional communications workshops and interactive cultural excursions. Students will gain a deeper understanding of American workplace culture, professional skills to enhance their marketability and more awareness of themselves in the global workforce. All MITI programs integrate the philosophy of living English to enhance cultural and language skills in a unique way.
- English for Global and Professional Communication (40 instruction hours): This course provides students with a variety of real-life speaking situations and how to utilize speech and drama techniques to improve the students’ overall confidence. Coursework is interactive, challenging and fun. The activities are focused on professional communication skills through presentations, group discussions, meeting facilitation, interview projects and written assignments.
- American culture and business/career workshops (15 instruction hours): Students attend workshops on effective interview skills and résumé writing — both of which are designed to help the students talk about the value of their experience on this program as they seek work in an increasingly global business setting. Cultural seminars increase awareness of life in the United States and help the students understand the culture around them more deeply.
- American workplace experience (60–70 hours): Program participants are given the unique opportunity to observe American workplaces through short-term job shadowing or volunteer internships in local businesses, government and university offices, and nonprofit agencies. By establishing relationships with their co-workers, students have the opportunity to learn about office culture as well as business.
- Cultural field trips: During the program, students will go on local cultural excursions and will visit other cities near Columbia, possibly including St. Louis, Kansas City, Hermann, Hannibal and Jefferson City.
- American ambassadors: The program opens doors for students to make meaningful relationships with American college students during their time at MU, with the intent that they will see many perspectives of American culture and return home with a more significant global view.