Iguazú Falls

By Kathryn E.

Dec. 9, 2023

One of the most sought-after destinations in South America is the Iguazú Falls that sit right on the border of Brazil and Argentina. The falls are considered one of the seven new natural wonders of the modern world and after my visit in October, I can see why. The falls and the park itself were truly beautiful and filled with so much biodiversity. 

I was fortunate enough to have this entire trip organized through my study abroad program which made my life significantly easier and in terms of the trip, much more enjoyable!

We started out the trip with a very early morning flight from Buenos Aires to Cataratas del Iguazú International Airport on the Argentine side. From there, CEA (my study abroad company) had organized transportation to our hotel to check in and change before exploring the area later that afternoon.  After freshening up, we went on a tour with a local guide to visit an indigenous group’s village and visited the Three Borders Mark in Foz do Iguaçu, where you can stand at the unique meeting point between Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay. After, we visited a local nature sanctuary that protected endangered species or animals that were no longer fit to live in the wild.  The rest of the day was filled with free time and relaxation as we prepared for a long day outdoors the next day!

Waterfalls in Iguazú

The next day we explored the Argentine side of Igauzú Falls with a tour guide. Our tour guide told us that the Argentine side is the side you can feel the power of the waterfalls while the Brazilian side is where you can really see the beauty of the falls.

My favorite part of the day was getting to take a boat under the falls themselves. It was an amazing and slightly scary experience to feel the force of the falls! We ended the day with a group swim at the hotel pool and dinner with my study abroad company.

IMG_2584_2
Waterfall on the Brazilian side of Iguazú

Our last day we got to explore the Brazilian side of the falls. While the Argentine side was gorgeous, the Brazilian side somehow had even better views. After exploring, we returned to the Argentine side and headed back to the town, Puerto Igauzú. Before returning to Buenos Aires, we got to wander around the town and have a group lunch at one of the best Mexican restaurants.

Iguazú Falls is one of the coolest places I have ever visited. 10/10 would recommend to anyone visiting or studying in South America. 

Only downside is the tourist… coming from a tourist.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: CEA: Latin American Studies in Buenos Aires