Bergen in review

By Phillip L.

Dec. 19, 2023

As I write this with only one day left in my study abroad experience, I can confidently say that my semester in Bergen has been the best one I’ve had in college so far. Bergen has been an incredible city to live and study in, and I will sincerely miss it.

Bergen’s Gingerbread Town, one of the largest in the world!

Of course, there have been challenges and quirks. The University of Bergen commonly weighs final exams as 100% of the course grade which has made it difficult to succeed in classes. Norway is also infamous for its high prices and cost of living and I can sadly confirm this reality. It was also a little difficult to adjust throughout the semester as winter grew closer. For example, the sun will rise at 9:51 a.m. and set at 3:27 p.m. when I leave.

c3a036de_bf80_43e3_814d_f4e70f1b5942
Some roommates and I at the Bergen Christmas Market.

Overall, however, Bergen has been a great city. It’s served as a great launchpad for visiting other countries in Europe and areas around in Norway like Stockholm, Prague and Lofoten. And right before I wrote this post today, I learned to ski with my friends in Voss just one hour away from Bergen by train. Bergen itself is a beautiful city surrounded by scenic nature and packed with lovely places like the Kode art museums, the Fjåk Café and the beautiful Scandinavian neighborhoods in the city center. But the best part has been the opportunity to meet so many people from different parts of the world and to learn about their countries, cultures and perspectives. In the future, I hope that I can meet some of these people again.

A snowman in front of the Fantoft Stave church.
Skiing in Voss

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: University of Bergen