Support networks abroad

By Macy L.

Dec. 6, 2021

Despite the constant emails reminding me to prepare for support and resources abroad, I believed that my own issues would stay in the United States, not daring to follow to the United Kingdom. I hope that my blog posts can shed light on the reality of studying abroad, the beautiful blissful moments of friendship, but also the crushing isolation.

Many people who experience mental illness find themselves lost in the “what ifs,” myself included. While I have been in England, I hoped to ignore my own mental health issues. Instead of this mindset, I should have been proactive and planned a support network for myself. Studying abroad should be an accessible experience to everyone, and there certainly are resources for those who struggle with mental health, if you decide to take accountability to plan.

Reaching out is never easy, but it is always worth it. November was an unexpectedly rough month for me, the high of traveling had worn off as routine and time alone grew. I found myself suddenly lost, swimming beneath the mental health issues I refused to acknowledge thus far in my semester abroad. I caught myself, and I reached out to others who happily supported me and brought me back to my feet. I hope to inspire those who struggle with mental illness to not only study abroad, but also to plan for the struggles they know will come. Studying abroad is possible, no matter how unlikely you think it may be, you can do it and there are people who will help you succeed.

Macy (third from left) poses with her other international friends in birthday hats.
Celebrating the “Scorpio season” birthdays. From left to right is Minori from Japan, Tillie from New York, myself and Katinka from Norway.

On a brighter note, one of the things I did this month to challenge myself was to take a trip alone. Typically, I let my nerves get the best of me and the idea of traveling alone has always been a goal but also a fear of mine. I decided to travel to London by myself so I could see the Tower of London, a site that has always ranked highly on my travel list. The Tower of London holds the Crown Jewels of the U.K. monarchy, being the history nerd I am, I was dying to see such amazing historical relics.

Macy smiling in front of the Tower of London with the Tower Bridge in the background.
If you look closely, you can see the super high-tech headphones the Tower of London gave me for my audio tour.

The trip was a learning experience and taught me useful lessons in how to enjoy my own company, but also how to travel alone safely. I used the weekend trip as a self-care getaway and even booked a cute hotel, though I spent most of the time studying, I got to treat myself to some delicious dinners and refresh for my remaining time in England.

The decadent Tower Bridge, over a river of green gray water on a cloudy day in London.
The Tower Bridge in London
Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: University of East Anglia