November travels

By Shea W.

Dec. 7, 2021

The initial and most important factor that went into my decision to study abroad was the fact that I knew I wanted to travel. Before entering my exchange program at the University of Manchester in England, I had never been out of the country and had really only explored the surrounding midwestern states within America. Brits always have one question for me when they learn I am from the United States: New York or California? And are promptly shocked when I say I have visited neither. Just as I thought that because they were closer to Europe, they would have traveled throughout the continent, they think the same of me. But most people, when they know that these places will be accessible to them for some time, are in no rush to do all their traveling before they reach the age of 22.

Shea posing on a stone street in Rome in a plaza in front of a domed building.
Another big building in Rome

During the month of November, I took a trip to Italy (Rome and Venice), Ireland (Dublin, Galway and Belfast) and Scotland (Edinburgh). I somehow have yet to go to London, even living in the U.K., but I think I’ve developed that same mindset that I had in the United States that I don’t really need to plan a trip there because it will be available to me at any point. My holiday in Italy consisted of touring the Colosseum, Vatican and Sistine Chapel, riding a gondola through the Venetian canals, and eating lots of delicious pasta. I even tried lamb (outside the U.K.??) and it was the best meal I have ever eaten.

Yellow, red and white rigatoni pasta on a platter.
Pasta in Rome

My sister traveled to Dublin to visit me, and from there, we went to Galway and Belfast as we toured the Cliffs of Moher and Giant’s Causeway. If you are looking for a scenic vacation, I highly recommend Ireland, as I truly believe it is the most beautiful and enchanting place in the world. Liverpool, Edinburgh and Dublin are clean, busy cities, but navigating the train is not the easiest thing in the world. It’s simple enough, but making connections is the bane of my existence, as I seem allergic to getting on the right train at the right time. We were able to see Glass Animals live in Liverpool, and being able to attend a concert for the first time in two years was a wonderful experience. And we got to hold Dave’s pineapple! I cannot wait for my next semester abroad as I explore more countries.

The pointed front end of a gondola going down a narrow canal in Venice.
Venetian gondola
Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: University of Manchester: Exchange