Living with a host family in Costa Rica

By Jenny C.

Jan. 14, 2022

Yes, hotel rooms are comfortable, but the relationship with my host mom, or “Mama Tica” as they say in Costa Rica, is something I will never forget. From her delicious home-cooked meals complete with fresh fruit and coffee to the gorgeous garden, I am so glad I came. As a nontraditional nursing student, I thought I had missed my chance to be part of a host family abroad. When the opportunity arose, I seized it! Nothing improves speaking and comprehension better than the opportunity to use the language every day.

It can be intimidating at first to live with a host family, but trust me it is absolutely worth it. Here are a few tips to make a good impression.

If you don’t know much Spanish, take advantage of free language learning resources online. You don’t have to be an expert. It’s amazing what you can communicate with the aid of hand gestures, facial expressions and Google translate! Still, it’s good to know some basic phrases to use around the house, such as “When do you do laundry?” “Where’s the nearest coffee shop?” or “What’s the WiFi password?” A lot of our host families have been hosting international students for years, but it’s good to show an effort to communicate. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes! Feel free to ask questions and ask for help if you have trouble communicating.

Don’t forget to bring a small gift for your family, too. Mugs are a common choice. My host mom has a collection of different international mugs. She showed us her favorite one — a Chicago Starbucks mug. She used it every day until the handle broke. You can also bring Mizzou hats, picture frames or snacks. Anything you bring will be appreciated.

The people of Costa Rica are so warm and welcoming, I wonder why I was ever nervous to meet them. When I left, my host mom told me I should bring my husband to Costa Rica so she can meet him. I think I’ll take her up on that offer!

Single, red bed against the a large window with a desk below the bed for school studies.
We each had private rooms in our host home.
Screen door open leading out to a patio filled with leafy plants. There is a little red chair and hanging lights outside.
My host mom’s garden is gorgeous!
Long green dining table set, leading into the living room with two parallel couches, tv set and coffee table.
The living and dining area in my host home.
Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Public and Community Health: Nursing in Costa Rica