My first week in Paris

By Makenna T.

Jan. 18, 2022

Bonjour from Paris! I’ve currently been in Paris for almost a week and it’s been a dream come true. So far I’ve mainly attended my mandatory orientation sessions, but I’ve also been able to be a tourist and explore the city!

Going to the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre is absolutely breathtaking and exciting, but the little things such as going to the grocery store also seem like an adventure.

In Paris, there are small cafes on every corner that are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. My favorite breakfast ritual is to get a pain au chocolat to-go! During my orientation, my study abroad program took us to a local cafe for lunch where I had rice with veggies and fresh fruit for dessert! The French cafe culture is much different than America. They have a slower pace where they sit outside and people watch for hours as they enjoy their meal with friends.

Decorative veggie and rice dish.
First French meal

Visiting Paris for the first time, I of course had to be a tourist and visit the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre Museum and the Palace of Versailles. My dreams were definitely made when I saw the Eiffel Tower at night. Fun fact: The Eiffel Tower sparkles for the first ten minutes of every hour and stays lit up from dusk until 1 a.m. The famous attraction was also lit up blue and decorated in stars for the upcoming French presidential election.

The Eiffel Tower lit up blue with gold stars in a circle to resemble the flag of Europe.
The Eiffel Tower when lit up

Studying abroad has its perks when going sightseeing. EU students under 26 are able to get into museums and other attractions for free, so visiting the Louvre and the Palace of Versailles was easy and free! These places are also so interesting to learn about and take in the amazing architecture.

Makenna posing in front of the famous clear pyramids and gold exterior of the Louvre.
The Louvre

Going sightseeing and exploring my neighborhood has been the majority of my first week in Paris so I’m excited for what the rest of the semester holds!

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: CEA: Fashion Studies in Paris