Homestay experience

By Olivia W.

Jan. 26, 2022

As a Ph.D. student studying family and intercultural communication, I am no stranger to study abroad programs. Throughout my academic career, I have participated in faculty-led programs, semesters abroad and even worked abroad independently. However, my recent trip to San Jose, Costa Rica, with the Social Justice, Narratives and Human Rights program stands out among the rest for one major reason: the homestay experience.

Throughout my two and a half weeks in Costa Rica, I was able to stay with a local family. Initially, I was nervous about the idea of joining a family for a few weeks and worried it would be an awkward experience. However, they welcomed me with open arms and were eager to share their home, country and language with me. Being a part of their daily routines and conversations was not only a great way to sharpen my grasp of the Spanish language, but it also allowed me to completely immerse myself in the Costa Rican culture. Each morning, my host family and I would start our days with a conversation, coffee and breakfast. Each evening, we would meet around the table, talk about our days and enjoy a traditional homecooked meal. My host mother, Norma, taught me how to cook a Costa Rican dish called gallo pinto. My host father, Roman, was always eager to provide his perspective on current events and politics in Central America. They truly made me feel at home, and for that reason, it was so incredibly hard to leave San Jose at the end of my program.

If you are considering staying with a host family during your time abroad: DO IT! I cannot recommend the experience enough. The cultural immersion a homestay provides you with is unmatched. One day, I hope to welcome exchange students into my home and offer them the kindness and hospitality that my host family offered me.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Social Justice, Human Rights and Narratives in Costa Rica