First week in Galway, Ireland

By Quiny U.

June 15, 2022

I have been in Galway, Ireland, for about a week now. It is beautiful here! The weather is not what I expected at all. It is very cold, rainy and windy, which is the complete opposite of the weather at home right now.

I got off on a rough start due to many apartment issues such as no power, no WiFi and no hot water. Everything is fixed and great now, though! I had the week to explore the city and I believe I know how to get around now.

I wanted to talk about the transportation here. The driver’s seat and roads are opposite to what we are used to, so at first, it was very confusing. We are staying in the dorms at the National University of Ireland-Galway, which is about a mile and a half walk downtown. This is about a 30-minute walk. There is no Uber here, only taxis, and they are very expensive, so we walk everywhere.

I have walked nearly 10 miles every day so far, which I have never done at home since I have a car. It has been very beneficial for my mental and physical health, but it also took a lot of getting used to. I have blisters on my feet and I am sore all over. Overall, I am finally settled in and having a blast!

The turquoise sea laps at the base of tall stone cliffs topped with grass under a gray sky.
Cliffs of Moher – absolutely beautiful!
Quiny poses in front of a stone wall at the top of the Cliffs of Moher.
Me at the Cliffs of Moher. So much walking!
Seven students pose in front of a stone wall with the Cliffs of Moher behind them.
The group of girls I’m traveling with. I love them already!

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Global Mizzou Service: Working with Vulnerable Adult Populations in Ireland