Study abroad: Key takeaways and findings

By Keltin S.

June 17, 2022

On Jan. 17, what feels like a lifetime ago, I left Missouri for Italy without having a clue what the experience would be like or what I would get out of it. Questions like “Will I like my roommates?” and “How much will my Italian improve?” ran wild in my mind and I was excited to see for myself what the experience would be like.

After being home for a few weeks and collecting my thoughts, it was everything I expected and more. I met some of the most interesting and welcoming people of my life, saw things I could only imagine previously, and most of all learned many valuable life lessons.

First, I learned that traveling alone is an entirely different experience and allows you the freedom to tailor your trip to your wants, needs and whimsies. In the tail end of my study abroad program I took a solo trip to Bucharest, Romania, for a weekend. Before leaving I was unsure how I would like solo travel, but my concerns were completely unfounded. By traveling without companions, I was able to confidently navigate a foreign country with much more freedom than otherwise. I did not have to take into account anyone’s desires but my own and as a result experienced Romania exactly how I wanted to.

Second, I learned that learning a new language is so much more than simply memorizing words and conjugations. It is seeing the world through a different lens and according to a different set of descriptors. Even simple concepts like greetings and expressing pleasure and happiness are verbalized very differently, often resulting in a similar but profoundly different meaning. This difference of expression gives us a window into another culture much better than simply vacationing somewhere and seeing the sights.

Finally, I realized that as travelers abroad, we have a responsibility as Americans to proudly and respectfully represent our country wherever we go. In some places I went, I was the first American some individuals had met. While they all had preconceived notions of what Americans were like, I felt it my responsibility to be an impromptu ambassador of our nation. I realized that if the only interaction these people had with an American was negative, I would be leaving them with a negative impression of our nation as a whole. If more people had this attitude, I believe many problems both abroad and at home would be avoided.

To summarize, studying abroad was an invaluable experience that I would recommend to anyone looking for growth.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: IES Abroad: Study in Tuscany