Everyday challenges and interactions

By Sydnie K.

June 22, 2022

I have been in Butare, Rwanda, for about a week now and I have learned many things and have become open to many more things. When our car first pulled up to Butare after being in the fast-paced environment that I saw in Kigali, I was not sure what I was going to experience. I saw moto-bikes swerving in and out of traffic and people walking on the edge of the street about two feet away from all the cars. I saw baskets upon baskets on people’s heads with babies on their backs. I saw long skirts and dresses with traditional African prints on most women. Finally, I saw heads turning over 90 degrees and doing a double take at what they saw as they watched us drive by. This is what stood out to me most. Heads turning and arms waving.

Finally, we got to our hotel and checked in with very friendly staff. We got situated and ate lunch and became more accustomed to the food we will be eating here. The night went on and the next day we would be touring a local boarding school that some of my peers would be placed at. The “pupils” who go to this school live here as well. They wake up around 4 a.m. for prayer and then their days go on following a very strict schedule of classes, independent study, lunch that consists of rice and beans nearly daily, more studying, sports that can consist of basketball, volleyball, troops (dancing), and more, then the pupils have a bell to dismiss from sports to showers, to more studying, to dinner, and finally to bed.

The classrooms here have about two pupils per desk and look forward to a black chalkboard. The professors here have a timetable that they follow for their schedule. I have noticed that this is a very loose timetable because the professors arrive at class at a time that is convenient for them, even if it is different from the schedule.

Professors

As we walked in with a professor the pupils stood up and in unison said, “Good morning, ‘vistas.'” We responded with, “Good morning, class! How are you?” Pupils responded in unison again with, “We are fine, thank you.” Then we lowered our arms down showing them that it is okay for them to take a seat now. I noticed that the pupils could not take their eyes off of us. It almost seemed like blinking was not an option. They have not seen people who look like some of my peers and I, or have only seen a few.

We introduced ourselves and opened the floor up for questions. Arms jumped into the air. Their questions fascinated me but also surprised me. They asked us a lot about schools in the United States, questions about if we wear school uniforms or not, what the outside world is like, what our initial reactions to Butare have been, how to ace an interview, how old we are, what technology we use, if we are single or married, why we cross our legs when we sit down, and so many more.

From these questions, I learned that studying in the United States is a dream on everyone’s bucket list here. I also learned that in the States, we go through school much faster than they do here because many of them are close in age to us, yet they have a long way to go until they are done with school. Many pupils here also are studying to be doctors and engineers to fulfill their parents’ dreams, but they have dreams to be artists and musicians and want to know what that is like to have a choice and a say in your career path.

I left the school that day feeling blessed that I chose the career I want to do and that I have all that I do; however, I also learned about teaching in Rwanda and what students here want. I left feeling bad, even though I know I shouldn’t because that is a difference that is out of my control. As we walked out of the school, I experienced more heads turning, more stares, and more waving.

The next day, we went to the primary school that I am at now. These pupils are younger and are more curious. We walked in with lots of waving from young students and yelling, “Hello!!!!” Pupils here were playing fútbol and the teachers were all in one work room either resting their heads or scrolling on their personal phones. Everyone was very welcoming here, but more starring started to the point of being uncomfortable. I would be in a classroom and other pupils would walk by and stop at the door to look at us. The teacher would be writing on the chalkboard and the pupils in the classroom would be looking at the back of the room watching my every move.

I approached some pupils outside during my break and asked to play with them. We started kicking the ball but then quickly stopped when students wanted to touch my long, brown hair and my white skin. Any word I said, many of them screeched in shock that I was talking to them. If I shook their hand or gave them a hug they were awestruck. Though I know all these initial reactions from the students are coming out of curiosity, it is overwhelming for me and I can’t help but feel bad that I am such a distraction to the students’ learning.

It is hard to know that the staring is not going to stop anytime soon and that many people look at me and just see me as a wealthy because of my identity and not someone here to learn about the schools and the culture. I will continue to show my smile and answer any questions people may have. I will continue to learn their language, make personal connections with students and teachers, and really integrate myself into the everyday life here in hopes that eventually people will see me for my personality and my heart more than just an assumption about my identity as an American.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Mizzuo Teach Abroad: Rwanda