Studying in Europe

By Isaac Y.

July 19, 2022

I spent this summer studying in Lyon, France, at the Catholic University of Lyon. Through the MU School of Language, Literature and Culture, I studied language and gastronomy with the French department. During my time here, I’ve learned lifelong lessons about traveling abroad and being a world citizen.

Students looking out at a turquoise canal running between colorful buildings and stone towers.
A few of my classmates and I traveled to Annecy for a weekend trip.

When I first arrived in Lyon, I spoke no French. I distinctly remember my taxi driver making fun of my American accent on the ride to my host family’s house. Conversing with my host family was even worse, as they spoke less English than my taxi driver. We ended up conversing through Google Translate for the first few days I was in Lyon. However, simply being in France and being immersed in the French language and culture all the time allowed me to pick up on the language quicker than if I were learning French in an American classroom.

Isaac posing at the camera in front of expansive field of greenery and trees.
As part of our required course hours, we go on excursions put on by the school we attended in France. During the third weekend, we visited Provence, France, and toured vineyards and wineries.

I believe studying abroad is a great way to learn a language and gain an unforgettable experience. As COVID-19 restrictions ease across the world, now is the perfect time to study abroad. Europe, in general, is an especially lucrative place to study, as travel and public transportation are widely available across the continent.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: French Culture and Internships