The public transport system: Oviedo, Spain

By Devany S.

Aug. 7, 2022

This past summer I had the incredible opportunity to study abroad for the month of July in Oviedo, Spain.  While there were many differences that immediately stood out to me there was one that, until I had time to take a step back and reminisce on my time, I took for granted; public transportation. The remarkable use of public transport in Spain is unlike anything I’ve seen in the United States, and it truly made my experience abroad that much better.

While I did not get the chance to use the subway system, I did use buses to get from city to city at least 3-4 times a week.  Buying tickets was very straightforward at the bus station and they were also extremely cheap; to put it into perspective we were able to travel to many towns that were about 30-40 minutes away from Oviedo for only about three euros.  Even getting from Madrid to Oviedo was only around forty euros for a 6-hour bus ride. 

Sky fades from blue to yellow as the sun goes down on the beach with city lights of Gijón in the distance.
Gijón beach at sunset.

By far one of my favorite places to visit was Gijon, only a 25-minute bus ride away with some of the most beautiful views.

Two church spires a top tan stone forming the basilica with mountains behind.
Basílica de Santa María la Real de Covadonga.

Tan cow eating grass in front of the clear lake water surrounded by mountains.
Cows of Covadonga.

Other places we visited that were organized through our program were longer trips about 2-hour bus rides and while these were sponsored by the program, getting to these places was still very affordable through the Oviedo Bus Station.  

Before this trip, I undoubtedly undervalued public transport.  In Columbia, while we do have some forms of public transport, they seem less accessible and not as reliable as the forms of transport I got to experience in Oviedo.  I now recognize how essential public transport should be in all places, it not only allows you to get from place to place, but it lets you have some of the most amazing experiences.   

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Spanish Language, Literature and Culture