Exploring Costa Rica

By Kaitlin J.

Jan. 18, 2023

A large group of students pose on a sandy beach with the ocean in the background.
Group of students on Tortuguero Beach

My time abroad in Costa Rica is one I will never forget! I learned all about the culture and people of Costa Rica. One of my favorite experiences was traveling to the village of Tortuguero. We saw all sorts of wildlife while we were there throughout the rainforests. There were no roads near the resort that we stayed in so we took a boat ride, where we got to see more nature.

A teal and white boat floating along murky water with palm trees and a blue sky in the background.
Boat ride to Tortuguero

I enjoyed learning all about how important the environment is in Costa Rica and how they protect the rainforests. The rich landscape is what makes it unique from other parts of the world. While we were at the resort, we woke up to howler monkeys! These monkeys are common throughout Costa Rica and produce one of the loudest sounds of any land animal. In addition, we took a boat to Tortuguero beach and learned all about sea turtles.

A colorful street in the village of Tortuguero with people on the street.
Colorful street in the village of Tortuguero

We got to walk around the village and visit the small shops that were all throughout the area. I tried coconut water for the first time while I was there, which was fresh and delicious. We were in Tortuguero during New Year’s Eve and as part of their culture, they eat 12 grapes once the clock strikes midnight for good luck. The resort gave us all grapes to eat. This was a neat tradition that I did not know about before and got to participate in.

A group of girls pose for a photo holding grapes.
Eating grapes for the New Year’s Eve tradition

Overall, I enjoyed getting to meet new people, learning about the healthcare system in Costa Rica and seeing a variety of wildlife. This experience has been a wonderful learning opportunity and something that I will carry with me. I can use what I have learned in my future nursing career by being able to better communicate and understand an individual’s own beliefs.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Public and Community Health: Nursing in Costa Rica