Portugal weekend trip

By Gibson H.

Feb. 22, 2023

This is now my second month abroad here in Spain, and it still doesn’t feel real.

For my first month, I was taking an intensive language class, and it helped me so much with my Spanish. I was not able to talk a lot with my host mom, and now we’re getting to know each other better since I know more of the language! The language class ended in the first few days of February, and now I’m taking my semester long classes.

It was all a big change when I first got here, but now I’m in a better routine and feel a lot more comfortable being here. I found a close gym that’s right by the pier, made some great friends and I’ve been able to travel around a lot with my classmates. One great thing about studying here is that other countries are so easy to travel to on the weekends.

City of Lisbon from above
Rooftops of Lisbon

For a trip to Lisbon, Portugal, flights were $60 round trip and housing for two nights was $50. We also planned our trip for the weekend of Carnival, which is a public festival that is celebrated in both Spain and Portugal, and there was so much to do there for the weekend. We went on a sunset boat cruise, enjoyed a free walking tour of Lisbon and spent our time learning about the beautiful country of Portugal.

Night boat cruise around the coast of Lisbon
Boat cruise around the coast of Lisbon

It was an incredible experience to be able to spend a weekend in another country, and it’s something I’ll truly never forget. I have a lot of other places I want to go visit within Spain and around Europe, and I can’t wait to experience that soon!

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: ALI Abroad: University of Alicante