Self growth

By Sarah T.

Feb. 24, 2023

People are quick to highlight the positives of studying abroad, but in reality, it’s a learning curve. I am incredibly grateful to have this experience, and I love Costa Rica, but homesickness is real, expectations aren’t always met and there are cultural differences.

My host mom and roommate at this HUGE farmers market!
My host mom and roommate at a HUGE farmers market!

After the second week of school, my computer broke; I didn’t drop it or anything, it just broke. I got my computer back yesterday, Feb. 21, and it had been broken since Jan. 23. Having to use the school computers and my phone for assignments was challenging, but it taught me adaptability.

Two girls walking through the tropics on a sandy path
 Beautiful tropics of the Caribbean

This past weekend I went to Puerto Viejo, a beach town on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica. It was beautifully tropical, the food was amazing and the beach was so much fun. Two friends from my program and I took the five-hour bus ride from San Jose to Puerto Viejo, and even though there wasn’t air conditioning on the way back, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Two girls pose on a tree branch on a beach in Puerto Viejo
The beaches of Puerto Viejo

During the second week of school, I caught the stomach virus that was rapidly spreading around my university, Veritas. I was one of the first people in my program to get it, and I was scared not knowing what was going on with my body. Luckily, my host mom is incredibly caring and supportive. She gave me home remedies, consistently checked on me and had no judgment.

A plate with vegetarian Casado with lettuce, tomato, egg, fried cheese, rice, beans and Tamarindo juice to drink
Vegetarian casado, a traditional dish in Costa Rica

Most of the time when I travel during the weekends to tourist areas, I’m inclined to get pasta, bagels, iced coffee and everything else that I miss from the United States. I do like the traditional Costa Rican food — rice, beans, plantains, etc. — but sometimes I miss the food I’m used to from home.

A plate of typical north American food items.
Typical North American breakfast foods

Ultimately, I’m cherishing my time abroad; I’m so grateful to experience the culture, visit the jungle, go to the beach, hike, etc., but it can be hard being away from family and the culture you’re used to for weeks on end. I know as soon as I get home I’m going to miss the Pura Vida lifestyle, learning and growing from the ups and downs of my time abroad, and the life I’ve created here. I’m trying my best to live in the present moment and accept everything as it comes, and that’s the best form of self-growth.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: CIS Abroad: Semester in Costa Rica