Family and cultural connections

By Sarah T.

March 29, 2023

My study abroad in Costa Rica is less than three months: January 7 to March 30. This timing allowed for my family and boyfriend to visit during their spring breaks, which was also the end of my stay.

A picture of my sister and I at Jacó beach!
My sister and I at Jacó beach!

I was fortunate to have my 14-year-old sister and mom visit me from March 16–21, and my boyfriend from March 23–29. Needless to say, my last three weeks were busy and filled with fun family adventures!

As soon as I saw my family while picking them up at the airport, I started crying. It was such a relief to feel safe, vulnerable and happy with the people I love the most in the world. We drove to my host family’s house and had lunch in their soda (basically just a small restaurant). After that, we went to the artisan market (my favorite place in San Jose) to go souvenir shopping and admire the local culture.

Friday, March 17, we left for the beach! We stayed in a beautiful resort and did two very fun excursions: we saw wildlife/swam at the beach of Manuel Antonio National Park and we snorkeled in Isla Tortuga. My sister was terrified of snorkeling at first, but after she adjusted, we had the best time swimming with fish and looking at the ocean floor through the clear water.

snorkeling at Isla Tortuga
Snorkeling at Isla Tortuga

It was sad to say goodbye to my family, but I knew I would see them soon! Plus, my boyfriend came two days afterward!

beautiful view in Monteverde from Sam and I’s Airbnb
View of Monteverde

Sam (my boyfriend) and I left straight from the airport to the beautiful mountains of Monteverde, Costa Rica. The first night we were there we watched the sunset from our incredible view and cooked dinner. It was so special to share something so beautiful with him. The next day we went zip-lining! It was terrifying and exhilarating, especially while doing a zip line about one mile long over the forest. There were 12 zip line tracks and a free fall drop, we did all the zip line courses but opted out of the drop.

doing a super man zip line in Monteverde
The Superman zip line in Monteverde

The day after, Saturday, March 25, we did a five kilometer hike at the El Tigre waterfall trail! It was beautiful and we were able to swim in one of the waterfalls. On Sunday, we went on a nature hike and saw a beautiful quetzal bird (an endangered species with a large population in Costa Rica due to forest protection efforts).

el Tigre waterfall
El Tigre waterfalls

Unforgettable memories! Last night, Tuesday, March 28, was my last night with Sam. We went to the Costa Rica vs. Panama soccer game in the national stadium, which was an amazing experience. It was sad to say goodbye to him, but I will see him soon, too!

Sharing the memories of this beautiful country with the people I love the most has been something I will cherish forever. I am incredibly grateful to have had this experience and amazing people to share it with.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: CIS Abroad: Semester in Costa Rica