East to West

By Kyleigh S.

April 5, 2023

Berlin — Wow.
Words cannot describe the immense amount of history the buildings and streets of Berlin speak — a brisk 36 hours in the city of graffiti, techno, delicious food and so much more.

For future “study abroaders,” I highly recommend a trip to Berlin. While the frigid weather took a little getting used to, the gloomy skies added to the electric aesthetic of the city.

We began our day with a hop-on, hop-off bus tour. The hop-on, hop-off bus is a fantastic way to hear about the history and significance of buildings, artwork, people and life as a Berliner. I highly recommend doing a bus tour in Berlin (and any large city you may travel to) because the city is enormous.

Walking along the street, you cannot help but envision the many different eras of Berlin. From the history of World War II to life under the USSR in East Berlin. The city itself and the people have many stories to tell. One can probably tell I adore the city of Berlin and the immense history of the city. The people and ambiance of the multi-layer city are incredible. The city feels like an enigma. I cannot find the words to describe the city; the city leaves you wanting to return to immerse yourself more profoundly in the Berlin culture. I want to wander the streets, meet locals, and dive into the culture of the city to better understand what makes Berlin, Berlin.

At the same time, we did not try typical German food. The city is known for its vegan scene, which did not disappoint. I highly recommend Yafo, a Mediterranean restaurant with a warm, homey vibe. The dark wood, glitzy chandeliers and simple table settings create a homey ambiance that elevates their divine food. Their prices are great, and they have an excellent lunch special. The hummus is hands down the best I have ever had.

For future vegan “study abroaders” Berlin is the destination for exquisite vegan food.

My adventures in Europe have exceeded my expectations. Berlin rightfully stands as my favorite place I have traveled to. However, it is not a goodbye, only a see you later!

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: CEA: Advanced Spanish Language and Culture in Seville