Studying abroad in Prague

By Alexis B.

May 24, 2023

Hello! My name is Alexis Berry and I am currently studying abroad in Prague, Czech Republic. I got here on May 20 and will be studying at the Czech University of Life Sciences for a month. After that, I plan to solo travel and visit my other friends in different parts of Europe for 10 days.

Lennon Wall mural in Prague
John Lennon Wall

It’s my first time in Europe, so I’ve experienced quite a bit of culture shock, but that’s expected. This is a popular and touristy city; however, many people don’t speak English. We have been using Google Translate a lot and the currency converter app on our phones is especially helpful since they use Czech korunas here.

A plate of long pasta covered in parmesan cheese with greens on the side.
Amazing garlic pasta at Cafe Girafe, across the street from campus

I’ve been observing some cultural differences since my arrival. For example, I was in line at a retail store and I didn’t go up to the counter right away because I figured the cashier would prompt me when they were ready. But the person behind me walked right past me and got helped right away as if it were normal. People also walk very fast and it’s not really a thing to say “excuse me” here, which I thought was surprising.

A group of students poses with their arms around each other in the lit up square at night.
Some of our study abroad group

I find the public transportation to be super efficient in Prague. We are about a 15–20 minute Uber right from Old Town Square and it costs about $12 every time (one way). But our stay includes a free bus pass, which also works for the metro. We can get downtown as a big group of 17, for free, in about 20 minutes max. The train stop is right on our campus and comes approximately every 5–10 minutes during the week, and it’s always on time.

Buildings several stories high closely line streets with metro lines running through them.
Part of Old Town Square

Lastly, I’ll touch base on phone plans and getting service because it’s something a few people in our group struggled with. I have AT&T and was able to log into my account and turn on travel mode, which is $10 a day in any European country (depending on how long you stay) and goes up to a max of $100 for up to 30 days. So I get service for the entire time for $100 total. Some people don’t have that option and needed to buy a new SIM card or hotspot at the local Vodafone store or airport. Most people in my group just turned on cellular roaming in settings.

A long, tree-lined greenway leads to a large, old building
Karlovy Vary day trip, outside the famous bath house

I’ve been here for five days and have already learned so much about the culture and am continuing to become more acclimated to the environment around me. This weekend we travel to Vienna and Budapest, and next to Croatia. I can’t wait to further expand my knowledge and see what this trip of a lifetime has in store.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Business: Prague.