Takeaways from Greece

By Hollie A.

June 16, 2023

My recent two-week trip to Greece was full of experiences I will not soon forget. Most of my stay was in Athens and this is where I was able to experience Greek culture to the fullest. While walking around the city, it was typical to be invited into restaurants, with hosts sharing menus and many even offering free food or drinks. Most surprising to me were those who did not advertise complimentary items, but gave them to us anyway as a thank-you for eating at their restaurant. Hospitality and friendliness are so important in Greece, which I noticed on several occasions.

Classmates all sitting a long table in a Greek restaurant
A welcome dinner at a local tavern

When visiting medical centers as part of my program, I encountered many people who were so happy that my group had come, and they showed it profusely. From offering food to asking to take photos with us, it was clear that they were very grateful for our time and were not afraid to show it.

Group standing in front of Doctors Without Borders clinic
Doctors Without Borders clinic

Another important aspect of life in Greece is the calm atmosphere. There is no rushing to meals, as even when one has a reservation at a restaurant, there is no expectation to arrive exactly on time. This carefree attitude can be seen in the streets, as people take the time to simply enjoy a slow-paced walk or sit down for a meal lasting several hours to socialize with friends. Many shops even have relaxed hours, with some closing during the middle of the day so that the shop owner can have a break or eat lunch. Some shops are even lenient on their closing time, and decide when to close based on the amount of customers they have once it gets later. Many people, unless they have to work early, will not rush to wake up early and instead opt for a later wake-up. This can be seen in the time places open as well as how late locals eat their meals, as dinner doesn’t occur until after 9 p.m. or so. This experience has taught me so much about how a culture can be different than my own, and I enjoyed getting to learn about the way of life in another country

Selfie of the group sitting outside in the stands of a Greek opera house
Listening to a Greek opera

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Culture, Public Health, and Social Services: Exploring Greece