La mejor Plaza Mayor

By Rianna E.

July 24, 2023

¡Buenas! Chances are you’re reading this because you’re hoping to study abroad one day or you’ve just returned and are looking for study-abroad-blog inspiration. Either way, keep reading to know all about my month studying abroad in Salamanca, Spain and learn about some amazing places!

Rianna posing on a windowsill looking out onto an ancient stone building
Casually posing on the windowsill of the classroom building overlooking La Clerecía

For the month of June, I attended the University of Salamanca, which is the oldest university in the Hispanic world. The city of Salamanca itself is actually kind of similar to Columbia, MO; both cities have similar population sizes, and there are a lot of college students! Because of this, it was super easy to feel at home in Salamanca, and I loved being able to imagine myself living there.

One of the most beautiful sights in Salamanca is the university’s facade. The side of the building is covered in intricate carvings, and hidden among them is a small frog. Legend has it that if a student spots the frog, they will pass all of their exams.

Extravagant gold detailed exterior of the university
The facade of the university

Right down the street from the university is the city’s main cathedral. The building is actually made up of two parts: the Old Cathedral and the New Cathedral. One day, my friends and I got to visit the insides of both places! Completed in the 14th century, the Old Cathedral has a beautiful apse (the domed part of the cathedral where the altar is) lined with gold details. The New Cathedral, which was finished in the 18th century, has tall, swooping arches and many intricately carved altars.

Rianna on a balcony looking out onto views of the cathedral
The view of the cathedral from the towers of La Clerecía

However, the Plaza Mayor is definitely one of my favorite spots in Salamanca. (Even though I also saw the plazas in both Bilbao and Madrid, I still think Salamanca has the best!) I loved stopping by the Plaza Mayor after class to grab a bite to eat at our favorite tapas spot (which we lovingly dubbed “Javier’s” after our favorite waiter). One fun fact is that along the buildings in the plaza, there are carved portraits of famous Spanish historical figures.

Rianna and friend eating gelato in Spanish plaza
My friend and I enjoying gelato in the Plaza Mayor

During my month in Salamanca, the city actually celebrated San Juan de Sahagún, or Saint John of Sahagun, who is their patron saint. Throughout the four-day festival, there were many events such as a fireworks show and an opera performance in the Plaza Mayor by three people dressed up as giant dolls!

Opera performers in colorful, light-up inflated skirts, performing in the plaza
The opera performance in the Plaza Mayor

Overall, my experience studying abroad in Salamanca was amazing, and I absolutely loved being immersed in the history and beautiful architecture of the city.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Spanish Language, Literature and Culture in Salamanca