A trip to Hokkaido

By Christopher H.

July 27, 2023

During winter, I went to Sapporo for a week-long trip. Immediately after landing, I was greeted by three-inch of snow that did not exist back in Tokyo. Sapporo in February was cold but lively. People mainly came for the same reason as I did: to visit the Sapporo Yuki Matsuri and see the sights.

Life-size snow sculpture of a large building
A life-size snow sculpture

During my first few days, I explored Sapporo’s local shops. Sapporo has a fish market called the Nijo Market where one can find some of the freshest seafood. Restaurants specializing in kaisen-don (seafood rice bowl) are found around the market. A bowl of salmon, eel, and ikura paired with draft beer made a delicious lunch.

The exterior of a Japanese restaurant
The entrance to a popular kaisen-don restaurant

I took the streetcar and walked to the Yuki Matsuri—a myriad of snow sculptures lined up within the parks where they were displayed. Folks in winter clothes were taking turns capturing the larger-than-life replicas and various characters made out of snow. The festival also had stalls passing out free stuff and selling souvenirs. Due to the snowfall, I bought a hat in the shape of a local bird called “shimaenaga”. For those who wanted more interaction, there were also live performances and experiences tailored for visitors. Whether it was making a snowman, curling with friends, or playing ice instruments, there was always something around the corner. The Yuki Matsuri is indeed a winter wonderland for everyone.

Large light-up tower with the time
Sapporo TV Tower under which the snow festival is held
A giant snow sculpture of a penguin cartoon character
A snow sculpture of Shimaenaga

My trip to Hokkaido was not limited to Sapporo. A day trip to Otaru was also on the agenda. I wanted to visit the music box museum and maybe even create my own music box. A bus took me to Otaru in an hour or so, and I was met with a quiet, snowy town. Unlike in Sapporo, I couldn’t find any tall buildings or streetcars. Instead, I saw lots of unique stores offering a range of beautiful crafts.

Walking around the area, I found a building with a large grandfather clock standing out front. It was the Otaru Music Box Museum. Sure enough, from inside a range of tunes could be heard beckoning me. Shoppers waltzed between shelves and tables, carefully examining the intricate boxes. Some were created with fine materials to be beautiful and serve as exemplars of the craft while others were decorated with cute and fun characters. After touring the museum, I visited the music box workshop. The group that managed the museum also owned a workshop where one can tinker with and decorate music boxes. They offer activities such as making a music box from scratch or decorating a premade one. Deciding on the latter, I picked a tune and some baubles before sitting down and began embellishing my music box. It took some time, but it was a satisfying effort. That music box became the best souvenir I could get from Otaru.

After some more exploring, night fell and I took one last stroll around the town. Fairy lights brightened up the night as people gathered around, sticking close to each other to keep warm. The night sky was my sign that it was time to return to Sapporo before the final bus. I boarded the bus and bid my farewell to Otaru. I hope someday to return there.

For the final step of my trip to Hokkaido, I visited the Sapporo Beer Museum. Located a bus trip away from the heart of the city, the historical brewery is now a museum for one of Japan’s most famous beers. Snow was falling hard during that day, but thankfully the bus was still in service.

The brick exterior of the beer museum
The Sapporo Beer Museum at Night

After an hour-long drive, I reached the factory. The museum was surrounded by evergreens decked in fairy lights. Beer barrels were stacked in front of the three-story red brick building. Inside the museum, remnants of the old brewery were displayed on the upper floors. A large copper brewing tank reached through the floors and beyond into the ceiling. There were guided tours available, but unfortunately, I had missed the final one. so I explored the museum on my own. The real treat, however, was the Star Hall; a cafeteria that offered beer sampling along with snacks. One can enjoy a variety of taps as well as nonalcoholic beverages while taking in the lively atmosphere. Afterward, I went to the Kaitakushi Hall and enjoyed their yakiniku. The grilled mutton paired perfectly with the drinks. For two hours of all-you-can-eat and drink, it was well worth it. The warm meal prepared me for the cold wind that accompanied my trip back to my hotel. I would absolutely recommend the Sapporo Beer Museum to anyone visiting Sapporo, especially in the winter. It is a beautiful place to escape the cold and enjoy a fulfilling warm meal with friends.

Traditional Japanese grilled meat cuisine
A Warm Meal of Unlimited Yakiniku
Interior cafeteria where beer samplings are held
Star Hall

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Sophia University