My favorite tomato soup

By Erin C.

Aug. 22, 2023

During my study abroad to Iceland with Mizzou’s Urban Sociology class I had the opportunity to try a lot of amazing food. Though the image of Icelandic food that would pop into people’s minds would be traditional cuisine like fermented shark, I found that there was a more modern, common dish that was being served across the country. This dish was soup. Though soup isn’t unique to Iceland, they know what they are doing with soup. From lamb stew, to potato and leek, and of course the classic tomato soup, their appreciation for this dish never failed to amaze me. Of course, soup was exactly what I needed on a rainy day (which was most days in Iceland), so I can understand where their appreciation comes from.

After 4 days in Reykjavik filled with lectures at the University of Iceland and time to explore the city, we went on a guided tour of the Golden Circle. This was a breathtaking tour that goes through Thingvellir National Park, Kerid Crater, the Geysir Geothermal Area, and Gullfoss Waterfall. The views at each of these locations were the most memorable portion of the trip for all of the natural beauty that Iceland had.

Rows of tomato plants in a greenhouse
Tomatoes growing in the Fridheimar greenhouse

Another must-see site along this circle was reserved for us by the study abroad coordinators in Iceland. This lunch was truly unique. Our lunch was at Fridheimar, a greenhouse/restaurant that specializes in tomato dishes. Pulling into the restaurant, we passed by Icelandic horses owned by the founder of the restaurant to see the welcoming glow of the greenhouse. Stepping inside I could feel the warmth as I looked at another spectacular view. Tomatoes grew in neatly organized rows with dining tables between them. Before our lunch, we got a tour of the greenhouse. We learned how the geothermal water is able to heat up the greenhouse to the perfect conditions for growing their variety of tomatoes, as well as the role that imported bees have in the development of their tomato plants. While devouring the unlimited supply of tomato soup and bread, I was able to appreciate all of the work that they put into the tomato plants that grew around me, and an amazing customer experience due to the time and effort they put into their ingredients. Though tomato soup isn’t what would come to mind when thinking about Icelandic cuisine, Fridheimar was able to access the country’s renewable geothermal energy to successfully grow their tomatoes in an otherwise harsh climate. This idea to connect horticulture with Iceland’s natural resources exemplifies the perseverance of Iceland as a country. For this reason, Fridheimar’s tomato soup was my favorite dish I had throughout my time in Iceland.

Group selfie while eating tomato soup in a greenhouse
The Urban Sociology class eating tomato soup at Fridheimar

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Urban Life and Icelandic Culture