Dear Barcelona

By Emma V.

Sept. 14, 2023

Dear Barcelona,

As I sit here, contemplating the bittersweet goodbye that awaits me, I can’t help but reflect on the person I have become during my time in your vibrant and enchanting city. Barcelona, you have been the catalyst for my transformation, and I wake up every day loving the version of myself that I have become. You are known for your awe-inspiring architecture, from the iconic Sagrada Familia to the whimsical Park Güell. Your streets are lined with the masterpieces of Antoni Gaudí, who left an indelible mark on your landscape. But Barcelona, you are so much more than just your stunning buildings. Your rich history and culture have seeped into every corner, inviting me to explore and immerse myself in your tapestry of life. But now, as I prepare to bid you farewell, conflicting emotions swirl within me. The excitement of leaving behind the familiar and venturing into the unknown initially consumed me, as I embarked on this journey to study in a foreign country. The thrill of discovering new places, trying new foods, and embracing different customs has been exhilarating. You have opened my eyes to the beauty of the world and the diversity of its people. Yet, alongside this excitement, there is an undeniable sadness creeping in.

Met so many people from so many different places, even a friend from Mizzou (right)

Barcelona, you have become my home away from home. The friendships I have forged here, the bonds I have created, have woven themselves into the fabric of my being. The anxiety I once felt about leaving my family and the life I knew now pales in comparison to the heartache of leaving behind the relationships I have nurtured in your embrace. My roommates, who have become my family, will no longer be there to share laughter and good food. The spontaneous trips to neighboring countries and lazy beach days will become distant memories. The connections I have made with the people in my program, who understand the unique experience we have shared, will scatter across the globe. The thought of not having them by my side is difficult to bear. You see, Barcelona, these friendships have transformed me. They have taught me to cherish every person and every moment, to live in the present and embrace the unknown.

B5933A1E_2A84_4BB1_9B01_ACD2A06296D6
Endless beach trips

In your city, surrounded by people from different backgrounds, we found common ground and built relationships that I know will endure the test of time. They have become my new family, my support system, my home away from home. But now, as the countdown to my departure grows shorter, the ache in my heart grows stronger. I fear returning home. I have changed, evolved, and grown in ways I cannot yet fully comprehend. I feel almost unrecognizable, and I fear my old friends recognize the person I have become and choose to step away from that. The most intimidating part of all, is determining how this newfound confidence, independence and spontaneity will affect my educational, professional and personal life back home. I am hopeful it will benefit me in more ways than it could ever hurt. Yet, even as I grapple with these fears, I am reminded that the memories I have made in your embrace will forever be etched in my mind. The photos, the laughter and the songs that transport me back to my time in Barcelona will keep the spirit of this journey alive within me.

2D351109_7E09_485C_BC67_69A552F2B6D4
My best girlfriends

The city in which I buried my old self and blossomed into a stronger, more vibrant individual will always hold a special place in my heart. Barcelona, you have been my teacher, my confidant and my muse. You have allowed me to discover facets of myself I never knew existed. Though our time together may come to an end, the impact you have had on my life will endure. I will carry the lessons learned, the friendships forged and the memories made with me as I venture into the next chapter of my life. So, as I prepare to say goodbye, I thank you, Barcelona, for the beauty you have shown me, the challenges you have presented and the person you have helped me become. The hardest goodbye is a testament to the love and appreciation I hold for you, and I will cherish every moment we shared together. Until next time, Barcelona.

With love,

Emma V.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Global Mizzou Internship