Journey to Middle Earth – New Zealand

By Ava H.

Nov. 1, 2023

Arriving in New Zealand at 5 a.m. after three days of no sleep, the first thing to stick out to me were the showers. Sustainability is heavily emphasized here, which was a motivator for me to choose this program. However, after three days of travel delays and cancellations, I wanted nothing more than a long hot shower. This wish could not be granted. My accommodation, Te Tirohanga o the Toangaroa, is through the University, a predominately international student high-rise. The showers run for about 10 seconds before they shut off. I didn’t know how to even turn on the shower at first (you push the knob…) but my sleep-addled brain is responsible for my ineptitude. Anyway, that was one of the first differences that I really noticed. That and driving.

New Zealand has drivers on the other side of the street. Pay attention when crossing the street! Light switches are the opposite, “cheers!” is used more often than “thank you,” and Kiwi’s tend to be more quiet and reserved than Americans so listen closely. Also, the American dollar is worth more than the Kiwi dollar, but don’t let that fool you if you live in Auckland. Everything is very expensive here in the bustling city center.

On that note, Auckland is incredibly diverse and Maori culture is heavily emphasized here and across the North Island. One of the first things I had the privilege of doing when arriving here was staying at a Marae. A Marae is a Maori communal sacred space that I was lucky enough to stay in for a few days while getting to know more about the culture and Waiheke Island. I listened to many Maori origin stories and learned about contemporary local struggles with the ferry service on Waiheke. After this experience, I traveled back to Te Tirohanga, which is a short walk to the University of Auckland.

Auckland is also a big food destination for international people and Kiwis. So much diversity brings in a vast spectrum of food availability. Sometimes it’s overwhelming because it’s so heavily saturated. YouTube and TikTok recommendations have helped in narrowing down the options. The places I’ve tried so far have been delicious. Recently I had the OG dumplings with siracha mayo from “Sumthin’ Dumplin’.” They were handmade and life-changing. Gelato on Waiheke Island also changed me deeply. Ginger and blackberry currant mascarpone! Still thinking about it.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: IES Abroad: University of Auckland