Two weeks in Costa Rica

By Gregory R.

Jan. 17, 2024

For my first time traveling internationally, I had a great time in Costa Rica. The program I was on focused on community service and working with the environment. We performed tasks such as removing trash from the beach, painting the volunteer house and watching over the sea turtle nests. These tasks were not hard to complete but the hot weather does make the tasks more intense. However, the work was rewarding and satisfying to complete.

One of my favorite things to do during the trip was swim in the ocean after a few hours of working in the heat, as it felt like a reward for my hard work. It also gave me the motivation to keep working. My second favorite activity was going to the different restaurants and trying new food. I can safely say they have some very delicious options when it comes to their meals. There is a lot of rice and beans, but I personally like them so it didn’t bother me when I ate them.

I was curious to see the differences between the U.S. and Costa Rica because I didn’t know how big of a difference it would be. After living there for two weeks, my eyes opened to a new environment. The first thing I noticed was pride for the country. Many locals were very proud of their country and were happy to see tourists come visit and enjoy it. People also take care of their environment, in restaurants there are no straws provided for your drinks. The reason for this is to reduce the use of plastic. While we were working and cleaning the beaches some locals said “thank you” as they were walking by. To me, I don’t usually see any of these things in the U.S. In Costa Rica, it feels like you are visiting a giant family of people. Overall, I would highly recommend this travel destination to anyone looking for a fun tropical adventure. I would also recommend it for people who have never traveled out of the country. I think this is a great way to get out of your comfort zone and experience something new.

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: Global Service: Sea Turtle Conservation in Costa Rica