The first month

By Alex B.

Sept. 3, 2024

Since I was about eight years old, studying abroad has been at the top of my bucket list. I have my mother to thank, who would tell stories and share pictures and mementos from her time studying in Japan during her college years. To say that I am over the moon that the opportunity has finally arrived for me to partake in a program is an understatement. The chance to experience it in such an incredibly beautiful and diverse place is phenomenal. Where, you might ask? Bergen, Norway.

Having been in Bergen for about three weeks now, one would think I had been here longer for all that has gone on. If I weren’t keeping a journal, I would probably have forgotten some of my experiences! Between hiking, joining clubs, attending meetings, making friends, participating in Welcome Week events, and fitting in essentials like grocery shopping and laundry, I have been kept busy settling in for the school year.

welcome week
University of Bergen Welcome Week

One thing I managed to figure out relatively quickly was the transportation system. There is a train stop about a five-minute walk from my apartment and a bus stop right outside the building. Anywhere you want to go in the city you can either use Google Maps or the transport apps directly to find out what time the next bus will arrive or where to take the train. I’ve found that having public transportation options is an incredible convenience for city living, something I’m not used to as I’ve never had any real reason to make use of public transport services before coming to Bergen.

I would say that one of the better events that I have taken advantage of was a recycling festival that the student welfare organization put on during my first week. Basically, any old furniture, decorations, electronics, books, dishes, cookware, or miscellaneous items that previous students didn’t want or need to take with them when they left school were gathered and set up in a gym. Then, for about five hours, the gym was open to anyone who came, and whatever you could carry out was yours to keep for free! I saw people leaving with chairs, couches, desks, shelves, paintings, TVs, microwaves, and a whole assortment of other things. I myself, left with a bit of cookware, some prints for my room, and a set of cross-country skis.

As an international student who hesitated to buy items for my apartment knowing they would be left behind when I moved home, I found this to be a valuable opportunity. It allowed me, and many others, to obtain needed items for our living spaces sustainably and affordably. I believe it would be beneficial for Mizzou to try and replicate this initiative on campus. It is a great way for older furniture to get reused rather than thrown out and for those who need temporary or affordable items for their apartments or dorms.

bergen city center
Bergen City Center

The most surprising thing I’ve found out since being here is that the University of Bergen has a very active scuba diving club. Had I gone abroad to Costa Rica, Italy, Spain, or somewhere else where the climate would have made me think of diving, I might have tried to bring some of my gear. I never would have guessed, despite Bergen being a coastal city, that scuba diving would be a real pastime here. I see now that I was wrong and have begun my search for basic gear and paid my dues to join the club. Depending on when I can get the gear and go on an intro dive to learn how to use the drysuit, I’ll have more to share about my diving experience in either September or October.

So far, it’s been a blast. I’ve started making friends, mostly within the international group I was placed with for the Welcome Week activities. We’ve swum in the fjords several times, with each dip seeming colder than the last. We’ve also been hiking and going to the movies, to name a few activities. My classes will start this week, at the end of August, so I’m very curious to see how they differ from those at home. I’m excited to see where this adventure takes me and eager for whatever comes next!

city from above
City from Above

Learn more about this blogger’s study abroad program: University of Bergen