Intensive English Program

Application process

To apply to the University of Missouri as a degree-seeking student, please see the International Admissions website.

Admission requirements

  1. You must have at least a high school diploma or equivalent. (That is, you must have completed secondary school by the time you enroll in the IEP.)
  2. You must provide documents that demonstrate you have enough money for all of your expenses while studying in the IEP.

How to apply

  1. Obtain an application form in one of three ways:
  2. Complete the application form. You may complete it in ink or by computer. Be sure to spell your full name correctly and provide your date of birth. If you have a passport, be sure that your name and birth date are exactly the same as they are on the passport.
  3. Read the financial guarantee section of the application and put a check mark in the circle to show that you agree with the financial guarantee statement.
  4. Obtain a letter of financial support in English from your bank or from the bank of your sponsor (for example, a family member or employer). An example of this letter is available below. If you have a scholarship, the letter of support must specify the terms and amount of the scholarship as well as an address in the U.S. for billing.
  5. Pay the $65 application fee. The quickest and easiest way to pay is online using a credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover). You can also pay the application fee by check, money order or traveler’s check, payable in U.S. dollars to the University of Missouri. Applicants with a scholarship are not required to pay the $65 application fee.
  6. Return the completed application by:
    • Online submission
    • Email
    • Fax
    • Mail

    If you do not want to pay the application fee by credit card, you must mail the $65 check, money order or traveler’s check.

  7. Send all required documents to
    • Financial documents — Send one of the following:
      • A bank letter showing sufficient funds for one year of study in the United States –OR–
      • If you have a scholarship, send a copy of the scholarship agreement, including the terms of the award.
    • Passport — Send a copy of the biographical page of your passport (with your name, date of birth and picture).
    • Proof of high school graduation — Send a copy of your official high school diploma or transcript, or your most recent college diploma or transcript; you must provide an official English translation, if necessary.

Mailing address and contact information

Intensive English Program
University of Missouri
208 McReynolds Hall
Columbia, MO 65211 USA

phone: +1 573-882-7523
fax: +1 573-882-0360

Official acceptance

screenshot of study in the states homepage

As soon as we have received your application, we will let you know that we have received it. After we have examined your application and you are accepted into the program, we will send you a letter of acceptance and, if needed, an I-20. Shipping fees may apply if your acceptance letter and I-20 are sent via express mail; we will tell you how to pay these fees in advance if necessary.

You should review the Study in the States website to learn about the process and rules for studying in the United States as an international student. Select “STUDENTS” at the top of the page for more information about applying for a visa, paying the SEVIS fee and maintaining your student status.

Letter of financial support

This letter must be submitted as part of your application. It must be obtained from a bank and should state that you will have enough money available for your period of study in the United States to cover educational and living expenses. If you will have a scholarship, you do not need a letter from the bank; instead, you must send a letter explaining the terms of the scholarship.

Below is a sample letter of financial support. The bank that provides the letter may use this sample or may write it in a different way. However, the letter must contain all of the information shown [in brackets] in the sample letter.

The letter of financial support must:

  • Be written in English on bank letterhead.
  • Be an original.
  • Not be more than 12 months old.
  • State the amount of money available to you for your period of study in U.S. dollars.

Most students find that it is more convenient to obtain a letter of financial support for one year (three sessions of the Intensive English Program) than to get a new letter if they later decided to attend an additional session of the IEP. Therefore, we normally issue an I-20 for 12 months. The letter of financial support should show that you have sufficient funds available for that period of time.

If you want your I-20 to be for only one or two sessions, please use the comments section of the application to tell us which sessions of IEP you want to appear on your I-20. The letter of financial support should show that you have sufficient funds available for your educational and living expenses for those sessions.

Sample letter of financial support


To Whom It May Concern:

This letter certifies that the accounts of [name of student, family member or other person] have sufficient funds available as of [today’s date] to pay USD $[amount] for the educational and living expenses for [name of student] to study in the United States.


[Signature of person at the bank who is writing the letter] [Name of person at the bank who is writing the letter] [Position/title of the person at the bank]