Intensive English Program

Housing and dining services


Students may choose to live in a private apartment off campus or in a room in a university-owned residence hall (dormitory). The cost of a double room (a room shared by two people) in an MU residence hall for one semester varies depending on the particular residence hall and meal plan chosen. Current academic year rates can be found on the Residential Life website. Note that the rates listed are for an entire academic year (two semesters). Rates for one semester are approximately but not exactly half of the listed costs. The cost for the summer session is approximately $2,000.

We recommend that single students live in the residence halls because the experience helps students easily interact with American students in daily situations. Living in a residence hall helps international students practice speaking English and understand American culture. For more information about on-campus housing, visit the Residential Life website.

Another popular option for students is to live off campus in a privately owned apartment. If students choose this option, we strongly recommend they use the services offered by the MU Office of Off-Campus Student Services, which can assist students with understanding their options.

For married students or students with children, Residential Life has a few unfurnished apartments collectively called University Student Apartments. More information is available on the Residential Life website.

Dining services

There are numerous restaurants and coffee shops located within a short walk of the Intensive English Program. Students who choose to live in university-owned residence halls are required to purchase a residential dining plan, which allows them to eat at any of the Campus Dining Services locations. Students who choose to live off campus in a private apartment may also buy a residential dining plan if desired.