International Student and Scholar Services’ mandatory orientation program provides essential information for your time at MU.
- Sign up for a mandatory check-in session: Required within 30 days of your program start date to maintain your immigration status.
- Register for the English Language Exam: All new, degree-seeking undergraduate students whose native language is not English are required to take this exam.
- Attend Welcome Week events: Meet other new Mizzou students and learn about cultural adjustment and academic success at MU.
International Student Welcome schedule
International Student Welcome events for spring 2024 will be Jan. 8–9. Additional information is coming soon.
Additional orientation resources
Mandatory check-in session
You must check-in with International Student and Scholar Services within 30 days of your program start date. Check-in session dates for spring 2024 will be posted in November. Follow the instructions below to sign up for a check-in session in MU Connect. Pay close attention to whether the session is offered online or in-person when you sign up.
Check-in sessions will begin promptly at their designated start times and last approximately one and a half hours. After your check-in session, you will be emailed a link to upload copies of the following documents to myStatus:
- I-94 (available online after arrival to the U.S.)
- Immunization records (contact the MU Student Health Center for more information about immunization requirements)
You will also be asked to provide the name, email address and phone number of someone whom we may notify in case of emergency, and to provide the address of where you are living in the U.S.
Transfer students: It may take several days after you check in to receive your new I-20.
How to sign up for a check-in session
- Log in to MU Connect. You will need your MU username (PawPrint) — it should be listed in your admission letter. If you have yet to create a university password, do so by accessing myZou. You will need the temporary password that was mailed to you.
- Select “sign up for a check-in session,” then “immigration check-in session” and “continue.”
- Select the date you wish to attend (make sure spots are still available), then “continue” and “confirm” to complete the process. Only sign up for one session.
An appointment reminder will be sent to your MU email address the day before your check-in session and will include the Zoom link for your session. On your MU Connect profile page, you may add an alternate email address, as well as a cell phone number for receiving appointment reminders.
Mandatory health screening
All new international students are required to complete a health screening at the Student Health Center. You must take your immunization records with you to the screening.
After your check-in session, a representative from the Student Health Center will contact you to schedule your health screening. If you need to change your screening appointment, you must call the Student Health Center at 573-882-7481. A registration hold preventing future enrollment will be placed on your student account until you have completed your health screening.
English language exam for undergraduate students
All new degree-seeking undergraduate students (freshmen and transfer) are required to take the English Language Exam before registering for classes. This exam is required even if you have already submitted English language proficiency test scores for admission to MU (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo). The exam is administered in person at 9 a.m. the Tuesday before classes begin, and registration is required.
Divisional orientation for undergraduate students
You should plan to meet with your academic division during Welcome Week. You will be assigned an advising appointment at this meeting to complete your registration for the semester. Not sure what your school or college is? Select your major on this list to find out.
MyMathTest assessment for undergraduate students
To enroll in a Department of Mathematics course, you must meet certain criteria. You can determine whether you need to complete the MyMathTest by going to the math placement website. There is no fee or registration required to take the assessment, and you will be given an unlimited number of attempts to complete it.
Graduate Teaching Orientation
All graduate students teaching for the first time at the University of Missouri are required to attend the Graduate Teaching Orientation, held at the start of each fall and spring semester.