International Student and Scholar Services’ mandatory orientation program provides essential information for your time at MU.
- Sign up for a mandatory check-in session: Required within 30 days of your program start date to maintain your immigration status.
- Register for the English Language Exam: All new, degree-seeking undergraduate students whose native language is not English are required to take this exam.
- Attend Welcome Week events: Meet other new Mizzou students and learn about cultural adjustment and academic success at MU.
International Student Welcome schedule
Monday, Aug. 15
- Shopping trip: departures at 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m.
- 8:30–10 a.m.: New Graduate Student Orientation, Jesse Hall Auditorium
Tuesday, Aug. 16
- 8 a.m.–noon: English Language Exam, 102 Naka Hall (auditorium)
- 12:30–1:15 p.m.: Lunch, N214 Memorial Union
- 1:15–3:30 p.m.: Info session, N214 Memorial Union
Thursday, Aug. 18
- 11 a.m.–2 p.m.: International Field Day, Kuhlman Court
Check out all of the Mizzou Welcome Week events, Aug. 17–21, 2022.
Additional orientation resources:
Mandatory check-in session
You must check-in with International Student and Scholar Services within 30 days of your program start date. Check-in sessions for fall 2022 will be offered July 18–Sept. 2. Follow the instructions below to sign up for a check-in session in MU Connect. Pay close attention to whether the session is offered online or in-person when you sign up.
Check-in sessions will begin promptly at their designated start times and last approximately one and a half hours. After your check-in session, you will be emailed a link to upload copies of the following documents to myStatus:
- I-20 or DS-2019
- University of Missouri admission letter
You will also be asked to provide the name, email address and phone number of someone whom we may notify in case of emergency, and to provide the address of where you are living in the U.S.
Transfer students: It may take several days after you check in to receive your new I-20.
How to sign up for a check-in session
- Log in to MU Connect. You will need your MU username (PawPrint) — it should be listed in your admission letter. If you have yet to create a university password, do so by accessing myZou. You will need the temporary password that was mailed to you.
- Select “sign up for a check-in session”, then “International Center workshops” and “check-in session.”
- Select the date you wish to attend (make sure spots are still available), then “continue” and “confirm” to complete the process. Only sign up for one session.
An appointment reminder will be sent to your MU email address the day before your check-in session and will include the Zoom link for your session. On your MU Connect profile page, you may add an alternate email address, as well as a cell phone number for receiving appointment reminders.
Mandatory health screening
All new international students are required to complete a health screening at the Student Health Center. You must take your immunization records with you to the screening.
After your check-in session, a representative from the Student Health Center will contact you to schedule your health screening. If you need to change your screening appointment, you must call the Student Health Center at 573-882-7481. A registration hold preventing future enrollment will be placed on your student account until you have completed your health screening.
English language exam for undergraduate students
All new degree-seeking undergraduate students (freshmen and transfer) are required to take the English Language Exam before registering for classes. This exam is required even if you have already submitted English language proficiency test scores for admission to MU (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo). The exam is administered in person at 9 a.m. the Tuesday before classes begin, and registration is required.
Divisional orientation for undergraduate students
You should plan to meet with your academic division during Welcome Week. You will be assigned an advising appointment at this meeting to complete your registration for the semester. Not sure what your school or college is? Select your major on this list to find out.
MyMathTest assessment for undergraduate students
To enroll in a Department of Mathematics course, you must meet certain criteria. You can determine whether you need to complete the MyMathTest by going to the math placement website. There is no fee or registration required to take the assessment, and you will be given an unlimited number of attempts to complete it.
International Teaching Assistant Program
Any new international graduate student who has a teaching assistantship for the upcoming semester must attend the Orientation for New International Teaching Assistants. However, most new international students will not begin teaching in the first semester.