H-1B scholars

H-1B scholars are international employees who hold specialty occupations requiring a specialized body of knowledge and the attainment of at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. H-1B is an employment-based nonimmigrant status used for temporary workers, and carries a provision for dual intent. At MU, it is used for full-time tenure-track faculty, academic researchers and professional staff.

Arrival and check-in

If you are coming from outside the U.S., you should check in with International Student and Scholar Services upon arrival using the H-1B check-in form. The check-in process requires electronic copies of your visa stamp, admission stamp and I-94 record, as well as your U.S. residential address. If you do not have a way to scan the required documents yourself, you can check in with ISSS in person.

Once your H-1B status is approved and you have arrived on campus, you should report first to your hiring department and Human Resource Services.

It is important to attend new employee orientation once your employment has started. This session will cover benefits and insurance options, as well as additional information you should know as an employee of the university.

You should also contact the Nonresident Alien Taxation Office to set up a tax assessment appointment as soon as you have a Social Security number. This appointment will ensure your tax withholding allowances are accurate.