Transferring in or out of MU

A J-1 exchange visitor in any category may transfer from one program sponsor to another if 1) the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which you were admitted on exchange visitor status and 2) you remain in the same category. Any employment under the new sponsor may not begin until the transfer has been approved. The transfer procedures must be completed before terminating employment at the University of Missouri.

You should begin the transfer process at least 60 days prior to the proposed start date with the new sponsor to allow for processing of paperwork. If you want to transfer in or out of the University of Missouri, you must ask an international scholar adviser to complete the process in SEVIS.

J-1 exchange visitors are not allowed to change categories (e.g., from research scholars to student) through the process of a transfer. Generally, changes in category can be accomplished only through a process of departing the United States and applying for a new visa to enter under a new category. Before pursuing this option, please make an appointment with an international scholar adviser to discuss the significant risks involved.

Transferring out of MU

To complete a transfer out of MU to a new institution, the J-1 Exchange Visitor (Scholar) Transfer Release Form must be completed by you, the responsible/alternate officer at the new school and host department at MU. It should then be submitted to International Student and Scholar Services. This form provides the information needed by Mu to accomplish the transfer/release in SEVIS. The information provided on the form also confirms that the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which you were admitted in exchange visitor status.

Transferring to MU

In order to complete a transfer to MU from another institution, the MU department must complete a J-1 scholar request.