International students in F-1 and J-1 statuses have the option to work in the United States. Firm immigration regulations apply to all employment options. If you violate the rules or work illegally, you will be out of status and must be reinstated to continue your studies.
Options for employment vary based on your visa status:
- F-1 and J-1 students can accept on-campus employment.
- F-1 students can obtain off-campus work authorization for Optional Practical Training or Curricular Practical Training.
- J-1 students can obtain off-campus work authorization for Academic Training.
- F-1 and J-1 students can request work authorization because of severe economic hardship.
- J-2 dependents can request work authorization.